1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Source for Eichmann Bullet Phono Plugs in the UK?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by RichardH, Feb 19, 2003.

1. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Making up some interconnects, and thought I ought to use decent phonos, really. The Eichmanns get very well reviewed.
    Hificables have them for £25 per set of 4 - anyone know of somewhere cheaper? I was also looking at the Neurik Profis, which are actually not much cheaper (£21 odd for 4).

2. Kearney

Kearney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I don't know anywhere else where you can get those eichmans
    but I got some Deltron all metal shrouded plugs from Farnell, CPC also sell them. They were about under £3.00 a piece. These plugs were good for a cable 6mm in diameter with PTFE insulator and Gold plated contacts. The cable used was Van Damme twin interconnect.

I had some neutrik prof's £9.99 for two from maplin but ended up destroying them in fit of rage :mad: after several unscessful attempts at soldering the awkward ground connection. I do not belive they are worth it unless you are into hot-plugging your gear.

:suicide:

3. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that re the profis - shan't be bothering with them, then. They're not that much cheaper than the Eichmanns, either. I'm going to use that Van Damme cable too - meant to be pretty good, and dirt cheap. Are the Deltron ones these ?

4. Kearney

Kearney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes that is them.

Out of interest where are you getting the van damme twin interconnect? CPC sell 50 metre drum for about £110 and farnell sell buy the metre at £7.31 which i think is expensive

5. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I like the WBT locking phonos, good quality but not very cheap again.

6. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Van Damme twin stuff + shield can be got from Maplins at £1.49 per metre - search for part number VU17T. They also so a single core with shield for £0.99 per metre, part number XX68Y. I'm not sure whether to get the 2 core stuff using the 2 cores for earth and signal, with shield left unconnected, or use shield as earth (either to make stereo cable with the 2 core and shared earth or using the 1 core cable).
    As the phonos are going on my LP12 (getting an external phono stage which means a change from BNC to phono), I think I'll splash on the Eichmanns. Might use those others for any extra interconnects I make up, though.

7. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    If you afford to do it I'd make up 2 cables. 1 with outer shield connected to earth at source end with 1 cables as earth, and another with shield as earth and both middle as signal.

It depsn on what the shielding is. If it's foil then it's not good for earth, if it's braid then it's ok.

8. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Just looked at the pics better. Since these are designed for XLR/balanced plugs I'd be tempted to run as twin signal and then earth/shield.

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    http://www.red-line.co.uk/contact.htm

comes to mind as the Eichman lot in the UK, the Velodyne importer so Eric might be your man, I could be speaking rubbish though. Power buy on plugs Eric?

http://www.eichmanncables.com/p_bullet.htm

for info

I am not sure I agree about the profi plugs, they work well and are one of the more reliable ones in my experience.

Remember a shinny heavy metal plug may not sound very good due to that thick layer of metal of a funny shape the signal has to go through. All those nasty coating layers do not make good sounding plugs BUT it may look good.

Though I have only tried these on analogue Eichmann are claimed to be TRUE 75 Ohm plugs for digital and video stuff (but sockets are not unlike BNCs). For analogue they do work well as do Kimber, Tag ETC

I have also tried the WBT / Cardas stuff but do not think they are better than say a Kimber Ultraplate, Tag or Eichmann

10. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Have you considered the StarQuad mic stuff?

VU29G

11. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks all. Retro - am I right in thinking you worked for the Naim dealer in High Wycombe before your posting to Uni? Do you know if it's possible to get hold of lengths of the Naim Aro cable, as I've heard it's darn fine stuff. As I use Aro cable from turntable to phono stage, I'd like to continue the run if poss to the preamp. I'll use the Van Damme stuff for other interconnects I want to make up.

12. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I certainly did. I'll email and see what he can find out.

13. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Kewl - PM me if it's more politic. I'd only need 2-3m for a stereo lead.

14. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    try www.audiophilecandy.com but i think they are more expensive....... they also do the silver variety but i think they are about 3 times the cost! :eek: i can give these guys a thumbs up for service, even if some of the products they sell are of questionable benefit!

ad

15. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, I tried them - they were about £5 more. Excellent range of snake oil, though! I'm sure some of it's useful.

16. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, I tried them - they were about £5 more. Excellent range of snake oil, though! Maybe I'm being unfair - I'm sure some of it's useful.

17. Kearney

Kearney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    RichardH

I think we got our wires crossed :laugh: the cable i used was the following VDC twin interconnect

I guess your trying to build a balanced interconnect, i was just making a conventional phono to phono able.

18. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No, not making balanced connect, just a straight phono > phono. That Van Damme mic cable is meant to be pretty good, though, even for that application.

19. Exeter Man

Exeter Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richard,

For what it's worth, i've made interconnects using the same twin stuff as Kearney (from VDC Trading), and also the Van Damme Instrument cable that's available in most places.

The Twin is quite good to work with, as the centre conductor and inner insulation are nice and chunky, whereas the centre and inner in the Instrument are not as substantial.

Have used the Shark phonos (Maplin ref. AQ57M) as recommended by TNT, and must say they are excellent quality at £3.99 for two. Also, because outer conductor is soldered on well away from centre, makes soldering easier than with some connectors. Tried VDC own brand phonos, but not a patch on Shark.

Can't really comment on sound quality, as cables went straight into a new system, but must be better than freebies, and satisfied my need for DIY projects (at least for a few days).

Regards

20. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Eichmann Bullet Phono Plugs
    I have a set on a set of these plus on a reterminates set of Blue Heaven cables and they sound great. However they have had to be disconnected a couple of times and two of the lugs have broken off them in the process and interesringly enough they are both from the red plugs. They are also very easy to damage as the plastic doesn't seem to be heat proof which seems strange because you have to use a hot iron in there.
    The Shark phono's that Maplins sell are excellent and so are the Shark 4mm bannana plugs (long and short)

21. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    TMH - thanks for that comment. Might give the Shark plugs a go as an interrim thing - I want to make up a few cables to test things, so a couple of pairs of sharks might be a good first step.

22. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

I bought a set of 4 Eichmann bullet plugs at the Heathrow show for around £20-£25 but I haven't got around to trying them out yet.

I haven't seen them any cheaper since.

I recently I bought a couple of phonos from CPC (part no CN02366... looking at last years catalogue) described as phono plug_ Gold plated, at £1.64 each. These seem almost identical* to WBT phonos which cost around £25 a pair.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how these compare with WBT phonos ?

(* From memory, I think the 'shield' grip was different)

Brian