source direct ?

covdude

Banned
hier

having just researched the difference between mono and stereo i have turned mono of on my marantz amp.

i only now need to know what the source direct button does and if it should be on or off ?

and does anyone else prefer mono - stereo seems louder and better to me ?

vmt

steve

pixelpidgeon

Distinguished Member
hi. I believe source direct cuts out any procesing done by the amp, and dometimes switches off the display to help give a 'cleaner' sound. I think this just means that if you are sending a stereo signal from say a cd and cd player, then the amp will simply send a streo signal to the speakers. cheers, pixel

covdude

Banned
hier

ty 4 reply - so should i have it on or off - i play music via mp3 on pc and radio via tv ? aswell as festivals / movies

what do you think / prefer stereo or mono

thanks again m8

steve

Mr_Orange

hier

ty 4 reply - so should i have it on or off - i play music via mp3 on pc and radio via tv ? aswell as festivals / movies

what do you think / prefer stereo or mono

thanks again m8

steve

Source direct, when on, normally ignores the tone (bass and treble) controls of the amp.

covdude

Banned
ty 4 reply - im kinda sure that stereo is better for me than mono .

but as for source direct - im able to change my pc music via an equalizer with audio software.

when source direct is off it seams louder, just as when in stereo it seems louder than mono.

my amp is a marantz 54 se ltd edition and the source direct and mono or stereo function are the only things you can change really.

i wonder if anyones knows if it is best with or without source direct on as i cant decipher this to an accurate conclusion.

vmt

steve

Jamie

Distinguished Member
The thought is that tone controls (and technically any form of buggering about with the signal) is bad. The purpose of a stereo amp is to amplify, not change the signal in any way

I've had a few stereo amps (marantz, Sherwood and Cambridge audio) and also my current AVR200 AV amp with tone controls and a by pass button (or source direct) and I can't honestly say I can hear a difference between source direct on or off as long as the tone controls are both/all in the middle.

Obviously if your tone controls are set elsewhere then the sound will be different. Personally my stereo setup in the dining room either has the speakers a little closer to the wall than ideal for my speakers so I either pull them out slightly and turn on the bypass button or leave them in their normal place and trim the bass a little

covdude

Banned
thanks for your input - gona leave the bloody thing of then as my speakers are phased for my sweet spot.

not asthetically pleasing but better sound as my Molly dont mind what i do with are flat.

yours

vmt

steve

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom