1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

source direct on SR5200 + Eggs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by magnatom, Apr 10, 2002.

1. magnatom

magnatom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have this amp connected to my Kef Eggs at the moment. However, I keep hearing how good the source direct is and would like to try it. The problem is that in source direct the subwoofer doesn't work (no bass management!). Is it possible to connect the eggs and subwoofer so that they will work with source direct? If not I will just have to wait until I get grown up speakers. :(

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The manual says:

With the source direct button pressed, the tone control circuit is bypassed as well as Bass Management.

Notes:
    The surround mode is automatically switched to AUTO when the source direct function is turned on.
    Additionally, Speaker Configurations are fixed automatically as follow.
    Front SPKR = Large
    Center SPKR = Large
    Surround SPKR = Large
    Surround Center SPKR = Yes
    Sub woofer = Yes

---

Since you are using satellite speakers which dropoff below 80hz, it's not a good idea to have the speakers set to Large (as is set in source direct) you should have them set to Small which will send all frequencies under 100hz (from everything not just the LFE channel in DVDs) to the subwoofer and stop frequencies below 100hz from going though the satellite speakers (high pass filter i believe its called).
    If source direct is enabled it will not redirect bass to the subwoofer unless it's the LFE channel from a DVD (in which case its not redirecting the bass its just playing it). If you set the front speakes to large it will allow frequencies under 100hz to go to the front speakers, in your case a bad idea because they cant do below 80hz.

In my case I don't have a subwoofer but I do have large full range front speakers (they have 8" drivers!) so I set subwoofer = no to redirect the LFE channel to the front speakers and have the speakers set to large.

3. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    I have a solution for you,i too lacked bass from my Rel sub when i switched to s/direct mode,so i just connected the sub at high level direct from the speaker terminals and this gives you full bass from the sub and speakers.Works very well,and you can keep your low level line in (lfe)connected.