Source Copy Protected help

B

billandhelen

I'm trying to record home video from my Sony Handycam linked with S-Video to my Toshiba RDXS34.

After 4 seconds the recording stops and an error message shows 'source copy protected'.

The manual mentions something about noise making the recorder think the source is protected, possibly from the tape being old. As far as I can tell, there is nothing wrong with the camera or tape.

Has anyone got any suggestions please?

I had this with my XS32 and my Sony DV camcorder when using the S-video too. I didn't have any problem when I used the DV (I-Link) connection, nor when I used the composite video. Only S-video. In fact, I only tried the S-video when I didn't have the correct DV cable. Now I always use the DV in and that works fine.

If your camcorder is DV, use the DV in. If not, try the composite video - not as good quality, but should work. And report the S-video issue to Toshiba - there must be a problem there.

Mark

Thank you.

I don't have an I-link cable but I did try the composite leads and it still didn't work.

I will report to Toshiba and report back if I get any news.

This is very frustrating because it was one of the main reasons I bought a DVD recorder - to edit home video.

Update...

I called Toshiba and they said that this is a known problem with Sony Camcorders. They have a 'fix' for it and I now have to to have it collected and returned to them to be 'upgraded'.

I suggested that they send me a new machine with the 'upgrade' already done (and take mine away) but they 'don't keep any in stock to do this'.

They are collecting on Thursday and it should take about 2 weeks.

Interesting - sounds like this bug has been around for a while (I've had my XS32 for 6 months).

I guess I could try and get my XS32 fixed... but it has worked fine with the DV cable, so hasn't been bothering me.

Mark

...I saw another thread about an upgrade for the RDXS34 to help it read discs better. As mine is being returned to Toshiba, I rang them to ask for the upgrade at the same time as the Sony Camcorder fix.

They explained that the upgrade is just one programme that fixes all known issues (including any disc reading problems).

I was told though that it will only read recommended discs better anyway. I use Taiwo Yuden DVD-R (as these are recommended in the manual) and occasionally the machine says they are in need of cleaning or some other nonsense.

Toshiba insisted that these are not recommended discs, so I don't know which manual they were using.

I have found that if I load the Cartridge RAM disc it came with, this helps it to read the blank DVD immediately afterwards.

It does seem to be a temperamental piece of equipment.

..Got my upgraded machine back from Toshiba yesterday.

Now working fine - no problems with Sony camcorder footage.

Can you give some details about the upgrade (SW version as stated in the machine)?
I have a XS34 too, and want to make DVDs from Sony camcorder. I'm interested in knowing if my Toshiba does have the latest FW version.
Thanks!

Sorry - don't know what they did to upgrade it except that it involved installing some software.

Bad news though - I'm still getting the signal when trying to transfer footage from VCR.
Seems OK direct from camera linked with S-Video lead though.

Looks like I'm going to return it to Toshiba again.
Very annoying.

Update...

Toshiba offered to declare my machine faulty and supplier would get new one.

Supplier (quite rightly) said that the new machine would very likely have the same problem, plus it would not have had the 'upgrade' to read the Sony camcorder).

Considered swapping for another manufacturer, but only a Sony machine would be guaranteed to be compatible.

Decided to keep the Tosh and have got around the problem by uploading the VHS back to the Sony camcorder, then transfering to the Tosh through composite leads at the front. This seems to work OK.

Oh Thank god I have just found this thread. I thought I was going mad.

I have just purchased a DVD Recorder a Toshiba DR250, and wanted to use it to put old vhs-c tapes of my kids onto DVD, and also to transfer across family recordings from my also new Mini DV sony handycam. The vhs-c tapes copied fine, but yesterday I hooked up the handycam to the recorder via the I-link cable connection to copy my daughters first nativity play onto DVD (I only filmed it that morning)

Well 3 seconds into filming it stopped and said it could not copy a protected movie. I retried a number of times and it kept saying the same thing....... Tearing my hair out here, it's a bloody home video, not the new Harry Potter DVD or something.
Interestingly, I rang Toshiba, who said they had no idea, which is strange considering earlier this year they knew about the incompatibility according to the other messages. I even told the guy it was a Sony handycam.

Anyway, after the previous trouble i've had (won't bore you with it) I decided to take no chances. Went back to the shop, and changed it for a Sony model. Going to try that tonight and see what happens.

I was checking the forum, in case it was something I had done wrong with the handycam, and nothing to do with the recorder at all.

***Please be aware, Toshiba haven't resolved this issue****

The odd thing is I only saw this problem when using the analogue inputs - when I connected by Sony DV camcorder via I-link I never had a problem. But it does look like a variation of a long standing problem.
Mark

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom