soundvisiononline ok to use them or go for JL (John Lewis)?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by christhedon, Oct 16, 2004.

1. christhedon

christhedon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    JL (John lewis) do a five year extended warranty though the price of the set is over 200 pound more than internet stores.

Two questions:

1) Has anyone definetely got JL to match an internet price?

2) Has anyone bought products say £500+ from soundandvisiononline.com? If yes please could you share your experience?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

2. davidgould82

davidgould82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in the same dilemma, so i went down to JL and tried to get them to match an internet price, it was actually dixons online, and they said that in every case they will match the price if it is in the shop that you want JL to match and that the price is marked, i.e. not a 'negotiated' price with a saleperson...
    i came to the opinion that although i would prefer to have 5 years guarantee and the great customer service that JL offers, I would rather put the money to a higher spec tv
    i have been informed by people in the know that the manufacturers warranty is sufficient as it is the first year where things will go wrong
    extended warranty is a bit of a scam, as is all insurance at its core, but since JL offer it free its like buying something online and then paying top dollar for warranty.
    i will take my chances with the internet and enjoy a 32 inch instead of a 28

3. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Chris,

Rather than go through all the pros and cons yet again, can I suggest that you look through all the JL Pricematch threads that have appeared here over the last few months.

You'll see that many members (including TG) are big fans of JL. :thumbsup:

However, at the end of the day it's up to you, of course.

Good luck. :)

4. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    CLH had some bad experiences with Sound & Vision.

5. christhedon

christhedon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thats fine. Thanks.

Really I'm just looking for something explicit, because theres a mixed bag of responses about John Lewis. I can't see anything that says JL definetely price match internet stores and this is why I believe it.

Also, I'd really like to know peoples experiences with soundandvisiononline, because I'm thinking of spending 1150 with them, and I'd like a bit information before that. So, if anyone has had a bad or good experince it would be good to know with a little detail of why they thought it was good or bad.

Thanks a lot in advance everyone!

Chris

6. christhedon

christhedon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Actually another question may be what cheap places are there on the internet that also have shops that sell for the same price? I've noticed people saying they got quotes from sound and vision. Is that the same a sound and vision online?

Thanks,

Chris

7. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Do a search for S&V, and you will see that there have been some VERY unhappy members. Can't say any more myself, as we have to be careful what is said regarding retailers on these forums.

I have read that JL have price matched with S&V before, as they have a real 'bricks and mortar' shop as well. That's the way I would go.

8. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Note that the 'problems' with JL have all been concerning getting the price match, AFAIK. Once that is sorted, there after-sales service is fine, by all reports.

9. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Ongoing.

Bought end of July. Only last week was it eventually picked up.

Currently back with Panasonic for testing.

S&V are completely unaware of the amended Sale of Goods act so take care. Contacting them by phone is also a nightmare.

Personally I wouldm't buy from them at all.

10. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    That's absolutely correct. :thumbsup:

Clear the first hurdle and you'll be ( :laugh: ) ing!

11. father alice

father alice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have just, as of 14/10, got JL cribbs in Bristol to price match to Sound and Vision. You need to give them the store tel number (01204 861861) and the price they have quoted you - same price in store and on the web; and the undersales dept should phone them, and in theory price match. Saved £150 off 32z44b, then got a free sd24vb dvd/vid thrown in as on offer, plus the 5yrs!! The other offer was to purchase a sd240e dvd for £75 and get £150 off the total price. ie I could have had a frther £75 off the price matched price if I had wanted.

This was all done over the phone. Undersales get back to you in a couple of days, phone the store with CC details, and arrange a collection date. It was then that I asked in the TV dept for the free DVD/Vid - no problems, and no mention of the already cheap price.

When I phoned to order, and said it was a price match, she said "oh I know Sound and Vision",. so I guess they do this all the time. Mixed reports with other JL branches, so phone around!

Trust I will not need the 5yr guarantee, but well worth having I think.

Cheers, Ali

12. Dharans69

Dharans69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

13. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Well done, Ali. :thumbsup:

Another happy John Lewis customer. :clap:

With all the potential problems dealing with web companies, I really can't understand why anyone would go elsewhere. :nono:

Still, it's up to each individual. :lesson:

14. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +885
    Rant:

I must say that I dont agree with the whole price matching policies that go on. How many of these stores that price match then actually lower the price of the item after matching the price of another retailer for others? Unless you must have an item immediately I would much rather support the retailers that are being agressive with pricing and enable them to grow rather than funding a company that is happy to overcharge the majority of customers and reward the occasional customer who has done research.

I have more than once bought an item in a store at a price match and seen someone else in the que pay substancially more for the same item. Whilst some may say that it is their own fault for not doing their homework before hitting the shops there are too many stores out there claiming to sell at the lowest price when they are fully aware that they arent.

Prehaps this is just my true colours showing

15. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21

16. Contact

Contact
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most stores have a margin to stay above on each manufacterer. Obviously running costs of retail are MUCH higher than the internet. Whenever you pricematch, you eat down into their profits. After you take VAT, utilities, wages, property costs and all the rest, there's not often much left.

Each store will price it at a level that they can comfortably keep business at. Some of the price wars kill independents quite quickly. If they consistently did a lot of the price matches that people find on here, they'd probably go out of business eventually.

Not to say that retailers can't let the price slip a little, but they're not ripping you off as much as you'd think.

17. Nivelo

Nivelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have got JL to price match agains S&V on a 36ZP48 and RDXS-32 DVD/HDD Recorder saving over £500 on JL's advertised price.

Only trouble is that they have none in stock and are still being a bit vague as to when they definitely will get the next batch in.

Father_Alice, have you received your's yet. Mine is ordered through JL Cribbs as well and I know they fulfilled some orders this week.

18. Nivelo

Nivelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Woohoo - Got a call from JL to say they have my TV and it will be delivered next week. Picking up the XS32 today.

Time to play :)

19. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Nivelo,

Glad to hear your good news. :clap:

Now you can test the JL delivery service.

My TV was delivered literally to the promised minute! :laugh:

20. Nivelo

Nivelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'm impressed with the XS32 so far. Only a couple of days to go for the telly :thumbsup: :clap:

21. christhedon

christhedon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

JL said no to price matching soundandvision, because soundandvision do not have price tags in their shop!

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Chris