Soundtrack missing on box-set episode but present upon disc intro.

Stevie DVD

Standard Member
We are experiencing an unusual problem with a recently purchased Blu-Ray box-set (of The Sopranos) on a Panasonic BDT 280 player.

A few of the discs have been tried and all would appear to suffer the same defect. The disc starts normally with showing the copyright warnings etc, then the HBO Home entertainment plays with a noticeably punchy soundtrack and then the 3 main options are presented: Episodes, Languages and Features. Upon selecting the Languages option and setting ‘English’ the Episodes option is accessed and Play selected. The programme credits roll but without any sountrack…and so this continues for the rest of the disc.

Presumably I will need to return the box-set to the supplier but would anybody have experience of this sort of thing happening? Whilst an absent soundtrack is hardly unheard of it is difficult to grasp as to why the disc intro does indeed have perfectly audible sound for the disc intro.

Thanks kindly for any advice.

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
We are experiencing an unusual problem with a recently purchased Blu-Ray box-set (of The Sopranos) on a Panasonic BDT 280 player.

A few of the discs have been tried and all would appear to suffer the same defect. The disc starts normally with showing the copyright warnings etc, then the HBO Home entertainment plays with a noticeably punchy soundtrack and then the 3 main options are presented: Episodes, Languages and Features. Upon selecting the Languages option and setting ‘English’ the Episodes option is accessed and Play selected. The programme credits roll but without any sountrack…and so this continues for the rest of the disc.

Presumably I will need to return the box-set to the supplier but would anybody have experience of this sort of thing happening? Whilst an absent soundtrack is hardly unheard of it is difficult to grasp as to why the disc intro does indeed have perfectly audible sound for the disc intro.

Thanks kindly for any advice.
It's more likely to be player and/or whatever is producing the audio than missing soundtrack.
Have you got player Secondary Audio: OFF?
What happens if you select a non english soundtrack?
What are you using to produce the sound? TV?, Soundbar?, Amp/AVR?

This boxset uses DTS HD MA for English soundtrack vs DTS for foreign language. If you get audio with foreign language soundtrack you have problems in the DTS HD side. If playing straight into a recent LG TV they have removed DTS decoding so you would need to change the player audio settings from bitstream to PCM (the player then does the decoding).

Last edited:

Stevie DVD

Standard Member
Thanks for getting back.

Apologies re the Blu-ray model but I misquoted; it is a Panasonic DMP-BDT 180.

The TV is a Sony Bravia KD49XD8099BU.

The soundbar is a Sony HTXT2.

Sorry, but I am unable to see any reference to ‘Secondary Audio’ so cannot confirm whether it is OFF or ON or even exists.

Upon playing a disc the soundtrack is shown as DTS-HD MSTR 3/2 1ch.

The Blu-ray manual shows the soundtrack as being 1ENG DTS-HD MSTR so one would think perfectly compatible.

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
Thanks for getting back.

Apologies re the Blu-ray model but I misquoted; it is a Panasonic DMP-BDT 180.

The TV is a Sony Bravia KD49XD8099BU.

The soundbar is a Sony HTXT2.

Sorry, but I am unable to see any reference to ‘Secondary Audio’ so cannot confirm whether it is OFF or ON or even exists.

Upon playing a disc the soundtrack is shown as DTS-HD MSTR 3/2 1ch.

The Blu-ray manual shows the soundtrack as being 1ENG DTS-HD MSTR so one would think perfectly compatible.
Page 25 of the BDT 180 manual. It appears to be under Digital Audio Output in the settings menu.
BD-Video Secondary Audio Select whether or not to mix the primary and secondary audio (including the button click sound).If “Off” is selected, the unit outputs the primary audio only

What is the BDT180 HDMI connected to?
What Android version is the TV running? Lollipop?, Marshmallow? or Nougat?

I'd suggest you
  1. Try one of the foreign language tracks and see if you get audio
  2. Set player to output PCM rather than bitstream (page 25)

Last edited:

Stevie DVD

Standard Member
Wow...it works, ggg. The BD-Video Secondary Audio was set to ON. Setting this to OFF (as you recommended originally :rolleyes:) has got the disc to now produce the full soundtrack. To be honest I have not used this Blu-ray much recently so not familiar with the copious SETUP options so probably will try to become a little more informed subsequently.

Thanks greatly for your invaluable help. ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom