1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sounds ominous PT-AE900 vertical banding??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DGtal, Sep 10, 2005.

1. DGtal

DGtal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I dont think it has been sorted 100% yet which is a great shame but we still have the epson and sony offerings. We will have to wait for a cine4home.de shootout that will sort them out.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Epson will obviously utilise Epson's own D5 panels too but they may achieve better results. It's still a little early for a definitive answer on D5 VB though.

Shouldn't really be a problem for the HS60 as Sony develop their own panels & in my experience, VB isn't a problem on Sony LCDs.

:smoke:

4. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Or on the 700 with firmware 1.07 :D teething problems I'm sure.

5. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I wouldn't jump to conclusions on the VB or not VB on the Panny 900 just yet.

Read this over at Avsforum,

' Saw the 900 today. Other than people who believe in sick-building-syndrome, I doubt anyone would've seen anything called "vertical banding" on the unit we saw.

In fact, the Panasonic engineer present seemed to understand the past problems very well and explained they were pretty well beaten, there was a service-mode tweak if really needed, and the sales guy added that anything that wasn't perfect out of the box or after the tweak would be defective and therefore repaired / replaced.

I personally think a mania has developed around vertical banding when, well, pretty elevated black levels and lack of shadow detail are stlll far and away larger problems with LCD. But that said, I doubt people could find it on this projector. And I'd be pretty optimistic about production units.

Oh, the contrast is also >5000:1 full on-off -- measured -- and the performance is a clear step up from the AE700. This unit at least equals the HS51 in my mind. And I believe it's brighter '

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Have the Sanyo Z4 and Hitachi TX200 been cancelled? ;)

7. DGtal

DGtal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen a few shots of the AE700 'before and after' various tweaks to reduce the VB (and have read about the firmware solution) so I'm not overly worried, just a bit worried! I would have thought that Pana's engineers who set-up that demo of the AE900 would have done all they could to ensure VB was totally absent.

Still, it is very early days yet and I'm not drawing conclusions, but I won't be hammering down the door of a retailer to grab a 900 quite as quickly as I had anticipated. It is still high on the (very) shortlist.

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    If the new LCD machines do overcome all these foibles, this forum is gonna be far less interesting. I mean, what will we have to talk about if it's not p1$$ poor contrast, VB or SDE?

...PJ :)