1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soundproofing

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by j_p_w_2001, May 31, 2002.

1. j_p_w_2001

j_p_w_2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i am new to this, and want to dedicate a second bedroom to home cinema. I would like to soundproof it as much as possible. does anyone have any tips? websites i can goto? anyone ever done this?

any input would be appreciated

thx

2. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at my homepage m8 ;)

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,118
    Best way is a room within a room, using isolation to stop sounds transmitting to adjacent rooms or above/below. You can build a new floor using isolating sheets such as the dense 30mm slabs found at Wickes, and float the new floor on that. Then build new walls on that, one incha away from the existing, and then build a new ceiling on that, ensuring that it doesn't touch the existing ceiling or joists. Two layers of Plasterboard and insulation all round.

If you just need to stop sounds transmitting through the walls, then you can build false walls one inch in front of the existing using 4x2 wood at 600mm centers. Fix a 4x2 to the floor and ceiling as a fixing for the vertical studs. Fill with 4ins of insulation and then fit two layers of plasterboard (2 half inch or 1 half, and the second 5 eighths).

Seal all joins at floor sides and ceiling with silicon, and do the same again after fitting skirting/architrave.

The air gap aids isolation, the insulation helps stop high frequencies, and the mass of the plasterboard helps stop bass. Where air goes, so can sound, so the silicon fills any air gaps. 4x2 gives extra rigidity, as a flexible walll can absorb any bass in the room and negate the sub woofer(s) you may have bought.

HTH

Gary.

4. JueUK

JueUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool m8, I've just checked out your website..

How pally are you with your neighbours ? Are you able to crank it up late at night and them not know a thing ?

Or does some noise still get through, but no where near as much as it should.. ?

Cheers