Soundproofing Soilpipe In Wall

elddisone

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently renovating a room to turn it into a cinema room. Unfortunately, there's a 110mm soil pipe that runs from the loft all the way down to the basement. Ideally we don't want to be hearing when people flush the toilet and have the water come rushing by. I've added a 2mm thick mass loaded vinyl around the pipe but it still seems quite loud. The pipe runs down the wall of the front master bedroom too, so I tried using expanding foam (which hardens) to dampen any additional noise coming from the sides. I realise this might not be a good idea if I'm now attaching the pipe with the foam. For the cinema room, would it be better to put rockwool around the edges of the pipe and then a 12.5mm thick soundproof board? Any other ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

It seems as though the images have been rotated so the pipe looks horizontal. It should be vertical.

Many thanks in advance,

Ryan

Attachments

• IMG_7031.jpg
    IMG_7031.jpg
    581.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7030.jpg
    IMG_7030.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7029.jpg
    IMG_7029.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 57
You can try rockwool sound insulation slab as an alternative to the normal rockwool. I’ve used this in a cavity. And for my soil pipe I managed to get some of this free.

Rockwool Muftilag-R Acoustic Wrap​

Which was fortunate as it’s a bit expensive. My pipe is boxed in on top of being wrapped in this. When it’s very quiet you can still hear a very slight sound

Cannot tell from the pictures but ensure no service access required to this point?
I have a similar pipe in my cinema room, but toilet above is now blocked and Dyno Rod engineer wants to remove plasterboard casing and cut in a access point, not desirable in a finished room.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom