Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Soundproofing query

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Dai B, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Dai B

Dai B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been doing a bit of research on soundproofing, particularly with the help of www.customaudiodesigns.co.uk (which is pretty good for info). What they're suggesting makes reasonably good sense, if a little pricey, and probably worth it if doing a dedicated room from scratch (and funds permit). In addition to the absorption and isolation principles of soundproofing they also talk about ensuring the room is sealed, which all sounds logical. However, what's confusing me is that won't the seal's (and therefore soundproofing) be compromised once holes are made in the walls/ceiling for cables, power points, lights etc..? This is particularly the case as they're suggesting using soundproofing mats on the walls and ceilings, which would have to be cut to get cables through. Am I missing the point here or is this a common issue that can be easily overcome?

Also, if a room is well sealed, isn't there a chance of suffocating if you're in it for a long time?

:confused:

2. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    You should seal any holes you make, perhaps a different type of soundproofing would be better? There are others around, mat and sheeting are ok, but not always the best option.