soundproofing(paying someone to come in)

E

Eoghan

I am currently purchasing a terraced house and I have a fairly high quality home entertaiment system which after spending alot on I would like to feel I can use it any time day or night at fairly high volume. I am considering sound proofing my sitting room it would be have to be fairly high level of sound proof i want as little or no sound at all going through to the neighbours and i am just twant get around about idea of how much u think will cost to pay somone to come in and do it im not really into the diy side of things. It is a fairly small room 4.84x3.41m. the only reason i am sound proofing is so not to disturb the neighbours. my budget would be around 2,500 euros basically what i am posting for is to see if people think it could be done for this price or how much you would reckon i would be lookin at
cheers
eoghan

You can soundproof any room for any price....

If you are looking at doing the walls, you would be looking at approx £2850.00 inc VAT for the materials and install to a high level. This would incorporate a multi layer system taking approx 4" from each wall....

I would image in a domestic terrace house you woul need to look at the floor too if you wanted to use subs...

The difficulty with any sound proofing system is specifying exactly what you want to achieve. In new construction the building regulations define the levels that sound insulation must achieve between dwellings, and there are tested ways of achieving that level. It is much more difficult to sound proof an existing terraced house because so many of the problems are inherent on the original construction and achieving even the building regulations standards is not easy, particularly as the tests cannot be carried out until the works are complete. Only then will you discover if your efforts have succeded or not. There are two areas of noise you have to deal with, impact and airborne, and the two ways of dealing with them are mass and seperation. Mass is better for low frequencies while seperation is better for high frequencies. Acoustic damping in the room will prevent standing waves from bouncing around but will make your room sound dead.
The reason I've said all this rather than just answering your question is to advise you not to get in a builder who says he can put up some battening with some quilt behind it because it just wont work. Most builders dont understand how to reduce sound transmission. My advice would be to get a noise consultant to test your room for noise leakage first and draw up a precise specification of how to carry out sound proofing, which a builder can then implement. It'll probably cost a third of your budget but better to spend 2/3rds wisely than 3/3rds badly :lesson:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom