1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soundproofing or Not Soundproofing

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Jesus Barrera R, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Jesus Barrera R

Jesus Barrera R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I've seen many posts on this subject but I still have questions.

I bought a house and I'm converting its garage (house being built in new development). The wall of the garage is shared with the neightbours' garage (see attachment).

My question is, the shared wall is built of solid standard brick laid on its widest side, i.e. about 20cm thick wall, added to that the builder will add the standard 1 inch empty space (for wiring) and then a standard 10mm plaster board.

Anybody has any idea how sound resistant will this wall be? I'm wondering if I should add soundproofing.

I'm using a Pioneer 810 AV Receiver with a set of Tannoy MX speakers.

Any comments welcome

Attached Files:

2. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I'm in a similar position at the moment. I would strongly recommed adding soudnproofing. Deep bass frequencies will have wavelengths in excess of the depth of your brick wall (according to the installer I'm using). Listening before and after the installation would seem to prove the point. Good soundproofing can also help deaden the acoustics of overly "bright" rooms. I have added 100mm of rockwool, and 12mm plasterboard, with a finish layer of plaster. Apparently the builder informs me you can now get 16mm Audioboard which is even better at absorbing sound. Doing it now saves you having to do it later when the neighbours complain.

Good Luck with your install

AndyS

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    To just soundproof the party wall, you'll have to build (idealy) a new wall in front of it.

Fix a length of 4x2 to the wall and ceiling, an inch away from the existing wall, then fit vertical 4x2s at 600mm centers. Fill with 4ins of insulation, then fit two layers of 1/2" plasterboard.

You can plaster the first layer, or at least seal the gaps/joins using silicon rubber. Use silicon to seal the joins at the floor, ceiling and sides. Then use no more nails as well as screws to fit the second layer of plasterboard. Stagger the joins so the second layer joins don't match up with the first. This helps stop noise traveling throuh the gaps.

Use silicon to seal all joins and gaps - where air can go, so can sound.

The mass helps reduce bass transfer, though some will still com through the floor. If it realy is an issue, you can use Wickes 30mm high density insulation to lay on the existing floor (instructions on th pack), then build a new floor on top using 4x2s or 6x2s. Make sure it doesn't touch the party wall. Fill with insulation and lay the flooring. Then fit your new wall on top of this as mentioned above. This should greatly help to reduce bass transmission.

It does of course mean that you lose around 6ins height and 6ins width from the room.

For more info, go to avsforum in the home theater construction forum.

HTH

Gary.