1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

soundproofing/fireproofing in flat conversion

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by vachalait2000, Jun 27, 2005.

1. vachalait2000

vachalait2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

I've taken on the project of a flatconversion and am looking to soundproof and fireproof the seperating floor between the flats, anybody has any experience?
    the flat below haS PERIOD CEILINGS SO AM TRYING TO AVOID THE CEILING FROM BELOW AND TRYING TO ENTER FROM THE FLOOR ABOVE...

many thanks for your reply

cynthia

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    I've no experience but this is what I've picked up:

I think building regs require a second layer of plasterboard to be fitted to the ceiling below (when doing a loft conversion), but fitting wire 'basket netting' from the floor above and filling with rockwool may do a god job with reducing fire breaking through from below (it stops the rockwool falling out if the fire breaks through the ceiling, so keeping some added prevention in place). I believe the thinking behind the extra layer of plasterboard is to help reduce the effect of fire on the wooden joists - plasterboard helps protect by reducing how much the fire will effect the joists, and the basket method is there to keep the rockwool in place. Rockwool and plasterboard are both good fire stallers so that's why the two methods together work well. Both also help reduce sound transmission.

If you can get good access from above and don't want to touch the ceiling below, you could cut and fit plasterboard in strips between the joists so that it's almost like a second layer. Use some mixed plaster to make sure there are no gaps between the strips and the joists so it acts like a liquid filler that will harden. Then fill with rockwool (using basket netting if you want to help reduce fire travel).

That should do a reasonable job of fire-stalling, and also help reduce sound travel at the same time. To reduce sound travel further, you could seal the gaps in the floorboards with silicon rubber, as well as the gaps between the floor and skirting. Then use a good thick rubber carpet underlay.

Hopefully someone else will add to that or suggest something better.

Gary.

3. vachalait2000

vachalait2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wonderful, that was really helpfull!!! Now the only question is will build reg be happy with that?
    will keep you updated

4. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I bought one of the Building Regulations 'made simple' books for my parents and they're very useful when renovating. Also the rockwool and knauf websites used to have lots of good up to date information on construction details for their products when used as acoustic, thermal and fire insulation.

5. Duncan White

Duncan White
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Did the above meet building regs?
    How did you separate your floors?
    Hope it worked out ok?