1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soundproofing advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Bleach, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Bleach

Bleach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Anyone know where I can get some decent soundproofing material? I live in a 200 year old cottage with some very 'quirky' features including an old walkthrough into the house next door!! This has been boarded up many years ago (on their side) and used as a cupboard on my side of the house (usefull for my amp etc..) The problem is that they can hear the bass sometimes from my subs, they're ok about it but I'd like to block it out.
    So my question is, is there some good soundproofing material I can use which will block out sounds going through the thinish (it's about a foot thick) wall? About 5 foot high X 3 foot wide?
    Cheers,
    Col

Ps/ Egg boxes are out of the question :p

2. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your local DIY store should be able to provide you with plasterboard made specifically for sound proofing. I think its twice as dense as normal plasterboard. If you double up on the sheets you should be onto a winner.

I believe its called gyproc soundbloc but you'd have to check.

Hope this helps
    Stace :D

3. adieacc

adieacc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The soundbloc board is approx £6 per sheet (8ft x 4ft?)

Try www.sheffins.co.uk

I'm in cardiff and used my local branch to source the above to soundproof a ceiling. Its advisable to double layer the platerboard with sound proof packing behind (approx £25 per pack)

Adieacc

4. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    In my old house, on the walls i use a combination of acoustic boarding and rockwool to good effect.
    Bear in mind some of the low bass maybe getting next door through the floor void...if it's the typical floor board and joists over a vented void.

Regards,

spence

5. Bleach

Bleach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone, that's a great help. I'll go and get some soundbloc for the weekend, looks like it'll do the trick.
    Tyefi, The houses are semi, but staggered, so our lower floor is about 4 foot higher than their lower floor (hope that makes sense!) so I dont think they bass could be going through that way, they're also thick (except for the cupboard!!) stone walls.

I'll put some in and let you know how it goes, thanks again. :)