Soundproofing advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by eezjib, Aug 16, 2006.

1. eezjib

eezjib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am in the process of setting up an upstairs room that will act a both an office and an occasional home cinema room (I am not a huge movie watcher so do not plan a massively powerfull system, just somthing where I can crank the volume up a bit and enjoy the experience from time to time)

Here is the problem - one of the walls is a shared wall and I am keen to minimise any noise disturbance to my neighbours. The shared wall is two walls of 4" bricks with a small air gap between them (the house is a 1920/30s semi if this helps!).

I have read the AV forums on soundproofing rooms and have an idea of what to do but am limited slightly in that one of the doors to the room has its frame directly joined to the shared wall and at best can only be moved forward such as to give a depth for the false wall of 3" or 4" (absoloute maximum).

To this end I am thinking of building a frame seperated from the shared wall by an air gap, using Wicks insulation material and covering it with SoundBloc board. My build plan is:

+ Gap between frame and wall 0.5" (this gap works well for positioning the top of the frame)
    + Wood for frame 2"x3" (the depth will be 2")
    + SoundBloc (one or two layers)* skimmed with plaster

* Would one surfice or would I be better going with two?

Does this plan seem reasonable and be likely to keep the neighbours happy!

Many thanks

James

2. anfieldfc

anfieldfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi your idea is fine use 2 layers of soundbloc .have you heard of green glue its the new stuff on the block which stop the bass travel better than anything else on the market just remeber that you will still get some going through the floor and celing just try and put you subwoofer on a slab to calm the vibrations down on the floor hope this helps

3. eezjib

eezjib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Many thanks for checking out my spec and for the advice - DIY here I come :)

James

4. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108