1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soundproofing A Room

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by clarkyb, Oct 6, 2005.

1. clarkyb

clarkyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I am builidng a home cinema room and i plan to soundproof it, it will be a wooden log cabin type building in the garden, so how would i go about totally soundproofing it, the system is loud but probably not as crazy as some of the systems on here.

Yamaha 5.1 setup, technics stereo setup, yamaha amp and a PJ

many thanks

2. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    you have a couple of options, one is MLV, which is heavy rubber-type material, this is placed in the wall and stops mid and high frequnecy sound transmission through the wall or floor or ceiling, or you could use resilient channel, though if this is installed incorrectly it wont work, or you can use something called GreenGlue, which does a very similar job to MLV, but with better low frequency stopping. It all depends on time, budget and what you want to acheive.

www.customaudiodesigns.co.uk for tips and some info on wall building and soundproofing, and www.audioalloy.com for more on Greenglue.

3. clarkyb

clarkyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    thanks will check them out

4. corvettez06

corvettez06
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could go the yucky looking route and get a bunch of sound panels to put on your walls and maybe even ceiling. You could probably get the ugly ones and get the nice looking ones. The difference in price would be a lot I think. Over here in the US the ugly would be 15 dollars for a sheet of 8' by 4'. A expensive one might be 100 dollars. Find somebody who has lots of black sheets or something and cover up the ugly ones and you could make yourself cheap ones.

I know they use sound panels in buildings at schools and other places where lots of noise is being made but personally I don't know the difference yet.

Get all the doors and windows to be as sealed as possible to keep sound from going in and out.

The biggest problem you might have is a subwoofer. You can't stop subwoofer vibrations from going through a wall and onto the other rooms. My roommates complain when I watch a movie because the house is bouncing!

Hope that gives you some help :thumbsup:

-Ryan Hankins

5. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Corvettez06, your getting soundproofing and acoustic treatments confused, the panels you talk about are for controlling reflections and tailoring the sound IN the room, soundproofing prevents the sound leaving the room.

You can stop sub vibrations, you can stick it on an isolation platform, of which there are a couple of variations, this will reduce the level going directly to the floor, the other way is to use a product that stops flanking noise, but that would mean treating the flooring and walls.

6. corvettez06

corvettez06
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whoops my bad. Sorry.

7. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    No problem! we all learn from each other, thats why forums are here! :smashin: