1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soundproofing a party wall

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by finbo, Apr 12, 2002.

1. finbo

finbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi whats the most cost affective way of soundproofing a party wall.
    I am going to build a 4 inch stud wall including 1 inch gap from existing wall. I need to know what are the most cost effective materials to put in the walls.

Oh just been to Jewsons and was told to put egg boxes in LOL:confused:

2. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Finbo,

I think most people use Rockwool...You will find at most D.I.Y stores!

Regards,

3. finbo

finbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx.
    Just been on the Rockwool site and there is loads of different sorts. Do i use normal insulating role or not, is there a big difference in price between productsand if so is there a big acoustic difference.

thanx

finbo:)

4. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,100
    Hi Finb,

If you can get some specificaly soundproof rockwool or similar, that'll be the best stuff to use. I used Wickes 50mm batts, and this was easy to use and fit because you can cut it to (over) size and snug fit it between joists or studds. Wickes also make a thinner but denser stuff (30mm I think) that is specifically designed for soundproofing and you glue it to the party wall using tile adhesive. If you have the room, you could use this first, and then make the new wall just in front ( say 5mm). You'll get better soundproofing but only lose a further 10mm from the room.

The best method for soundproofing a party wall (from what I've read) is to do exactly what you're doing though - 4x2 wood for the wall (rigid walls is good) built one inch from the existing wall, rockwool or similar to fill, then two layers of platerboard to finish. Use half inch or bigger, and seal all gaps between the joins in the first layer, and floor and ceiling using silicon or similar. Fit the second layer making sure the joins don't line up.

You can lay the first layer horizontal, and the second layer vertical if you wish. This does introduce a crossover point where joins can meet though, but if your sealing is good, it won't be an issue.

Use no more nails to glue the second layer to the first (adds rigidity). You can use further soundproofing by fitting some of the soundproofing matting between the layers (see the link Johnson gave).

Make sure you seal all joins at floor and ceiling level and at the sides. Where air can go, so can sound, so this will make a big difference.

I've done a similar thing in my loft, but not as effective due to using just 2x1 studding and the 30mm batts. It's very effective, so what you are doing should be better still.

HTH

Gary.

6. AndyF

AndyF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Instead of plasterboard, you could use a product called FERMACELL, which is better at blocking sound. It does cost 3 times the price, but it doesn't need a skim coat of plaster so saving the cost of a plasterer - unless you DIY of course.

Cheers,

Andy.

7. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I also used fermacell.This stuff is so dense,I could not get over the weight.Its fairly easy to work with as well.
    Encon Insulation sell it as well as all the other goods you will need rockwall,drywall screws,filler etc.
    All the best
    Gary

8. finbo

finbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx all for the info

A few more questions. The party wall is an ajoining wall from the neghbours so do I leave an "air gap" say from the rockwoll to the double plasterboard, ie: 1 inch gap from wall then a 3x2 wall filled with 3 inch of rockwoll or sort.

Is Soudbloc board alot better than normal plasterboard

I have been on the customaudio site looks like they have some great products. Soundproof matting, do i need it ? will it make a big differance.

Like i said thanx all for the info.

Finbo.