Soundproofing a converted garage

Stu666

Standard Member
Looking for some advice on how to best soundproof a converted garage that is going to be used for a drum kit.

The garage is constructed with single skin brick walls, with a flat fibreglass roof. The main garage door and window have been removed and bricked up, leaving just a single door for access. One wall is part of the house and is double brick with a cavity, which has been insulated in the past.

The house is detached and there are no other properties in the immediate vicinty of the garage, the nearest being a good 25 metres away.

My thoughts so far are to build a 50mm stud wall with 10mm air gap, fill with 50mm high-density acoustic mineral wool slabs (80kg/m3 or higher) and cover with a single layer of acoustic plasterboard and seal. Same for ceiling. Stud wall screwed to concrete floor and ceiling joists only, perhaps lined with isolating strip to reduce noise transfer. I believe the door would be the weakest link, so some type of solid core composite, properly sealed door would hopefully do the trick. The door opens onto the rear garden, so it doesn't really matter if a little sound escapes here.

There is a wealth of information on the Internet but lots of it is possibly overkill to my situation. For example, installing resilient channels or genie clips, double plasterboard, thicker studs and slabs. As there are no party walls or neighbours in the immediate vicinity, how much can I get away with?

The ultimate aim is to reduce the escaping sound to acceptable levels, with minimal loss of internal footprint. I understand that obtaining studio quality 100% soundproofing is probably not going to be possible without spending the big bucks and losing lots of space, so I'm aiming for a significant reduction instead.

ufo550

Mines an integral garage, I went the route of fixing the timber stud wall with acoustic hangers, then resilience bars & genie clips. Gyproc plank & sound-bloc, with tech sound in between.

But it costs a lot. But once you've done what you've done, there's no going back without it costing a lot more.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom