SoundMAGIC E30 and PL30 build quality

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by reima, Dec 23, 2011.

1. reima

reima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi all

I have purchased the PL30 and that had to be sent back after 6 months after a fault developed from the connection where the sound cuts off when I the cable moved, I than purchased the EL30 and that had to be sent back today because the similar problem apart its happened in the left hear cable end.

I don’t know if it’s me but do they all suffer from these issues and if so can someone please recommend me a good reliable IM headphones.

Thanks

2. pandemic

pandemic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    What are you looking to spend?
    If it's in the same region as SM IEMs, you could try one of the a-Jay models. They should be pretty tough due to the cable design, but some people find them a 'irritating'.

3. reima

reima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi

thanks for getting back to me but i can stretch to £60 - £70 if that helps

4. pandemic

pandemic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    You could try something like the Shure SE215, which you might be able to pick up in that price range. The reason I picked out these monitors is because they can detach from the cable, so breaking them should be damn difficult. Also produce good sound, but won't be as bass heavy like the SM's.
    However, you may prefer the sound of dynamic driven IEMs as used by the SoundMagics. I'm used to BA (Balanced Armatures) and have only regularly used the Denon AH-C551's which were dynamic.

5. reima

reima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    thanks a lot i did look iknto these and reading some reviews on the e-sures, 2 year warrenty is good too.

the main thing is the sound and durability, as i,m getting annoyed of sending headphones back, i use them everyday and everywhere as well as the gym so i need them to last.

6. mhorton

mhorton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    I've never had a problem with my E10s. Had them now for 6 months, still in perfect condition, and probably use them for atleast 3 hours a day.

7. reima

reima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    cheers for that,

well i opoted for the SE215 and just got an email saying they are out of stock and should be here in 1-2 weeks.

i really need some headphones and i cant wait that long :)

any other recommendations people, how about the Klipsch Image S4?

8. pandemic

pandemic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    The S4s are good, but I have come across a number of reviews where some people have damaged a single monitor. Not sure if it's down to mishandling or an inherent fault.

9. mhorton

mhorton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    I had a pair of the s4i which are basically the same but have the inline remote for "i" devices. I did like them but the build quality was poor. I had 3 replacements. On the 3rd replacement I sold them.

10. reima

reima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    thanks a lot everyone for sharing your exp, its just unfortunate that se215 are out of stock and i asked the supplier if i get another sound-magic like for like would i get another year warranty or not?

i do like them but durability also seems to be a issue with these, ideally looking for something that p handles music like (metal, thrash, rock mainly) as well as other genres sound crisp and bassy with really good sound isolation i,e london tube and roadworks. as well as comfortable to wear. must admit these soundmagic arent all that comfortable and the sound isolation for some reason is not as good as the PL30.

any recommendations people please let me know and i dont mind stretching to £100 for something that ticks all the boxes above.

11. gusjux

gusjux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have started using a robust and short extension lead similar to this

0.3 Metre 3.5mm Plug to Socket Stereo Headphone Extension Cable | ThatCable.com

I always have issues with wear and tear close to the jack or find myself snagging the cable on door/draw handles and ripping the buds from my ear. As a result I do not allow myself to spend more than £30 on earphones as I'm seemingly always replacing them.

The extension has helped with my snag ups and should I have further issues with wear and tear around the jack its a lot cheaper to replace than the earphones.

Might be worth consideration to those frustrated with the durability of earphones as it would seem however much you pay you have to treat them with kid gloves or do a bit of DIY protection if you want them to last a reasonable amount of time.

12. reima

reima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi

thanks for that, i opted for se215 and i must say they are double the price but much better, they seem to be made well and robust.

sound better too. and very long cable