1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soundcards

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by dee, Mar 6, 2002.

1. dee

dee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I bought an audiophile 2496 from millenium music about a month ago and am thinking of changing it, looking for advice.

Situation is, I'm currently undertaking flinging out the cd player & ripping all my discs to the computer (via the ape compressor).

Am currently running via the 2496's spdif to a mf-x24k dac -> mf-a3 amp -> triangle speakers.

Have a couple of probs with this set up.

Firstly there aren't enough outputs on the 2496. Music goes out via spdif to the dac, but I also play a few games & these seem to be using a 22kHz sample rate hence have to go via the 2496's analogue out to a 2nd diff input on the amp. All well and good except I also like to listen using headphones (have a mf-xcans headphone amp for this) and to do so I have to switch the analogue out from the 2496. This is a pain in the ar$e to say the least.

Second prob is the spdif breakout cable. Am currently using a vdh second as the spdif cable & am considering upgrading the dac sometime soon. This seems all little stupid however, given the dodgy quality breakout cable (fine I guess for the encoded dts/dd signals, but not the best of ideas for straight out wav).

Anyway, after a bit of looking around, I noticed m-audio do another card that would seem to fit me much better - the delta 410.

Really wanting to know if anyone has anything good or bad to say about this card.

(incidently, obviously may soon have an almost new 2496 going for a knockdown price if anyone's interested).

2. dee

dee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hmmm...

Did'nt exactly elicit much in the way of a response there, anyways I've got a 410 coming tomorrow & so if anyones interested in a newish 2496 give me a shout.

3. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    where are you? Anywhere near Leeds or Bradford?

4. dee

dee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm in belfast(ish), but I'm afraid the cards sold already.

5. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem. It'd be tricky to get it over here anyway.

6. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Dee...I'm in a similar boat. Have just ordered the Delta 410, and am in the middle of building a system consisting of Cyrus power amps & Sonus Faber speakers. I've currently got a MF X-Ray CD player, & I'm hoping to be able to sell this once the Delta 410 arrives. However, I'd be intersted in your thoughts on music CD sound quality from the 410...?

Btw, I'll probably have an M-Audio 24/96 card going cheap soon too!