Soundcards, midi and 16 vs 24bit

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by PenguinWithHair, Feb 11, 2009.

1. PenguinWithHair

PenguinWithHair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok so here's my story. I want a soundcard with a 15pin joystick/midi socket. At the moment I have my computer connected to my av reciever via the digital coaxial output of my onboard, which seems to work fine.

So I'll need to get a soundcard with a digital coaxial output too and connect it the same way from my soundcard, the trust sc-5250 seems a good enough option at the moment. Particually the fact that it's only £16.

Here's my question though, does it matter that this card only supports a 16bit resolution (apparently according to the trust pdf manual)? I've looked in my recievers manual and it does say it features a 96kHz/24bit d/a converter. But after finding out audio cds use 44.1kHz 16bit, I'm starting to wonder if I really need it...?

Can anyone also suggest a way to find out what my motherboard's digital coaxial output supports for a comparison, it doesn't seem to state in the manual.

If anyone can suggest to me a 24bit soundcard with a digital coaxial output and 15pin joystick/midi socket I would much appreciate it.

Many thanks.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009