Soundcard

G

Glasswalker

Right. Simple question I hope.

I have a PC with DVD player, Avance '97 soundcard (I think that's what it's called). GeForce 4 Ti4400 (It's also used to play games).

Anyway I've got the system set-up as far as playing DVDs through my projector is concerned (powerstrip used to get the right resolution). However my amp plays the sound but is only picking it up as Dolby Pro Logic.

Does anyone know why? and more importantly how I would get it to output Dolby Digital or DTS? It's plugged into the amp with a fibre optic cable.

Which software DVD player are you using? Reason I ask is that some oem versions (including PowerDVD) often only support 2 channel, with full 5.1 requiring an upgrade.

If it's the 2 channel version of PowerDVD, you could just buy whichever add-ons you need from Cyberlink. Personally, I prefer PowerDVD to WinDVD for image quality and stability, but there are many opinions on the subject!

Just downloading the trial version of the new one now. See if that does the job.

Neat if it does. Then all I need to do is get some quieter fans for the machine.

Check out this site for a great comparison of fans. Personally, I tend to use YS-Tech (for 80mm ones) as they're inexpensive & also tend to chuck out a fair bit of air at reasonable noise levels. Also use Papst 60mm fans (expensive) as they seem to do the only 60mm ones that don't scream.

Before you mess with it thouroughly, it could be as simple as putting a spot in the 'enable spdif' in audio properties in powerdvd.

I tried it last night with WinDVD which has an enable Sp/DIF box. Ticked that and got no sound. Unticked it and got the normal Dolby Pro Logic sound.

I've just looked at the website for the soundcard and it appears that the card only outputs stereo.

Here's the chipset site:

Will have to search for a soundcard that can output Dolby Digital and DTS.

The creative one only outputs 44.1khz AFAIK, if you're going to get a new one, you might as well do it properly. You could even think of one of those ABIT USB thingys, just spdip in and out. They pass DD and DTS, at the appropriale frequencies, and they're quite cheap. I think microwarehouse do them? You can keep the existing soundcard for pc speakers if needed, just select the device in audio properties.

Do you know a good site to get the ABIT one from?

That would be quite handy for when I get my new laptop (will be a lot quieter than my PC).

p.s. Thanks for all the help guys. I would be lost without it. :cool:

Dabs have the abit device, but the details don't come up for me to see if it's the right one. B.... firewall. But it's somewhere to start looking. You might compare it with the ABIT website, see if there are others, it seems more money than I remember. There was a thread about it about 4 months ago, and various people trying their laptops out. I use mine as the cinema PC, but intend building a new one soon. Graphics not quite up to scratch for us.

Just found some info on ABITs site. The UA-10 has only a 9pin Mini DIN out. I don't think that my amp can pick that up.

Just found it on Scan .

Only about £40 as well. Ordered and should be on it's way soon.

I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Thanks again.

It just turned up. Can't wait to get home and try it out. Fingers crossed that it does the job.

Looking forward to hearing about it. I've got a creative extigy, good, but doesn't pass dd signal. Decodes and goes into 6-ch.input instead. More wires, more hassle. But it was in a bargain bin, no box cables or drivers, so I couldn't resist. The difference between this and my previous creative card is big, that's the difference between 44.1 and 48khz sample rate, and the losses on a 48khz signal...

It's works wonders. Connected it to my laptop which I then connected to the projector. Amp picked up the DD and DTS signals.

Only problem is the graphics card won't accept the 856x480 settings in powerstrip. But the picture was still superb in 800x600. So much better than my normal DVD player. HCPC is the way to go.

Just to p*** you off, I had my synchblaster cable yesterday, and Keene have just introduced a v. similar one for £29.95.... I wonder if it's as good? I think a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush is the motto here though!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom