1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soundcard that does SPDIF out to external processor?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Chiz, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Chiz

Chiz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I use Cyberlink PowerDVD set to SPDIF audio. i.e. PowerDVD does not decode Dolby Digital or DTS, it just sends the digital data to the soundcard. The soundcard then sends this data to my external Dolby Digital / DTS / Dolby Prologic II decoder.

My soundcard is on the motherboard. Because it's a cheap onboard one, the master volume does not work for SPDIF. I have programmed my Freeview remote to work the PC well, saves me having to use 2 remotes when watching films.

Also I want to do SPDIF in from a Freeview box (2 channel digial audio) by optical or coax. Then output this through optical out on the card.

Like my onboard card, I need the soundcard to simply send the SPDIF data to the external box and not decode anything.

Somebody lent me an external Creative Labs Extigy card. This works well in the fact that the master volume in Windows does change the SPDIF out volume. And it has optical in and coax in. Works well but the card is decoding Dolby Digital, therefore it is sending the data to the external box as 2 channel PCM so I'm watching 5.1 films in Pro Logic :rolleyes:

So need:
    1) Optical out
    2) Optical in or at least digital coax in
    3) Control the volume of optical out and digital in from
    a) Master volume in Windows XP
    b) Each source
    4) DO NOT decode Dolby Digital or DTS, just send it to the external box

Also what does this mean on my external decoders LCD screen:
    "Dolby Digital 3/2"

Was expecting it to say 5/1. Not sure what 3/2 means.

Thanks

2. jasi

jasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I got a real cheapo soundcard £14 new off ebay just for the spdif sockets but it works fine and think it fulfills your requirements. Its an Inno AX Audio Extreme 5.1 sound card. Only problem is it has a seperate bracket for spdif so takes up 2 pci slots on the case (although the bracket doesn't actually plug into the mb). It has an optical input and output and coaxial in and out.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I don't know the Extigy but with an Audigy this is configurable for this, in the Surround Mixer applet you can get to a setting called "AC3 Decode", disable that and the bitstream is output as-is, I use that on a games PC to feed a Logitech Z680 and get DD and DTS to it fine.