1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soundcard help!

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Gillykid, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Gillykid

Gillykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help!

I need a soundcard for my HTPC (after having finally fixed all visual issues) - to connect to my amp. At present the amp is quite crappy (standard out of the box 5.1 panasonic home theatre jobby) and will only accept RCA in.

What sound card would people recommend? I am also looking at upgrading the amp so anything a bit future proof would be good...

Any help greatly apprechiated

Cheers all

G :lease:

2. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,369
    bit of an ar$e over boob way of doing it but what processor is in your PC?

if its a socket A XP you can get nforce2 platforms with soundstorm on board for peanuts these days, you can then sell your old board.

just depends if it will fit in your HTPC case as i dont know if they did miroATX nforce 2 boards.

incidently i am new to this so no expert, but thats the route i am going & seems to be reccomended.

http://www.leadtek.com/motherboard/nforce2_ultra400_dl_1.html

that says it has RCA out & has all the features your can shake a stick at.

but its only any good if you have an athlonXP, which is prolly the only thing about that board which isnt futureproof.

but once again, i am a newbie myself so others may confirm / despute this.... but am bored :D

3. Gillykid

Gillykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, sounds like a good option, only problem is that I am using an older Shuttle case. Intrestingly tho, i have an nForce (v1) m/board in the shuttle but apparently this isn't 5.1 capable :(

I guess I could swap with another newer Shuttle m/board, but if there was a PCI card out there that would do the job for me then I would rather take it up.

Any suggestions anyone?