Soundcard help needed PLEASE !

ibster

Established Member
Reaction score
I purchased a C-media based card with an optical out. I have connected the pc to my amp via an optical cable and manage to get windows sounds by selecting the SPDIF out option on the mixer control panel.

When i try to play dvd's i select SP/DIF out and i get no sound. I have enabled/disabled the SPDIF settings on the mixer and also set it to 2 channels. i still cant get sound when playing a dvd. I also cant find any function in the mixer where it tells me that i can disble the onboard processing and just allow passthrough.

Has anyone else had these problems ? if so could they be fixed ? please let me know.

thanxs in advance

ps the card im using is called a nicole 5.1 and has the c-media 8738 chip. The bundled s/w has a mixer which controls all the settings.

(also would i need a cdout cable from my dvd player to the sound card ?)

I'm not familiar with that soundcard, but what DVD software are you using?

In Power DVD, Win DVD etc... there's an option to output "spdif". Usually in "config" or "options", "audio", "allow spdif passthrough".

Should help ;)

The internal dig. cable is irrelevant, it must be the dvd software causing the problem. Does your sound card drive a Renault? Has it got a wicked dad and a little black dress? Or are you too young to remember that?

lol !!! papa is nowhere to be seen !!!

the audio in powerdvd is set to spdif out !!!

Not knowing your software, it's hard, but creative's software has about 3 places where spdif must be enabled, and pass thu specified. It puts it's own icon in control panel, have you one of those? My Nvidia sound card at work does that too. You can also specify the output sample rate.

the only place where i can specify the SPDIF settings for the card are in the mixer settings, it also creates a little icon for it on my toolbar. I downloaded a trial version of Nvidia dvd player and that also didnt work. I think the card i bought must be "from hell" ;-).

any more tips ? has anyone else got the same card or a mb which has the same chipset ? please let me know

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom