• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Soundcard for recording?

tjradiohead

Can anyone recommend one? Since Mackie no longer update their drivers for the Spike (XD-2) it no longer works with newer builds of Leopard and SL.

All I need is 2 inputs, digital out (optical or coax is fine) and midi inputs.

USB or FW is fine!

jezzery

Standard Member
Can anyone recommend one? Since Mackie no longer update their drivers for the Spike (XD-2) it no longer works with newer builds of Leopard and SL.

All I need is 2 inputs, digital out (optical or coax is fine) and midi inputs.

USB or FW is fine!

Is this true for all their discontinued line of firewire products, I have the onyx 400f and not upgraded to snow leopard. Is this gonna be a problem. Works ok with the latest leopard build.

tjradiohead

You should be ok then.

I can only assume that Apple did something with either core audio or USB drivers in one of the later updates for Leopard that stopped the Spike from working properly. It still works, but there is a ring modulation effect on next to everything that is recorded, almost like clipping. Its nothing to do with settings/buffers etc as everyone with a spike has the same issues.

I went for the Edirol UA25EX, should be delivered today.

jms_uk

Cool! Glad the info was of use :)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom