1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

soundcard for dd 5.1and dts

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by jason t, Jun 8, 2001.

1. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    hi can someone please recommend a sound card
    to connect to my avr2801 to give me dolby digital and dts

thanks

jason

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,427
    IF you want a budget card, then the £29 Fortissemo card at http://www.downtowncomputers.co.uk/acatalog/downtown_Guillemot_108.html
    should do the trick. I have a similar Fortissimo card with optical output which works fine.
    Ignore the advice about getting a hardware decoder like the Hollywood plus.
    Software decoding with Power DVD is better quality than hardware decoding. Infact in Power DVD, disable hardware acceleration for the best quality.
    Surprising but true.

3. siymann

siymann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could get the Creative 5.1 Live Soundcard, which has Digital(analog) output (Dolby Digital 5.1 only - i believe), and connect that to your amp.

Or get something like a hardware DVD decoder card based on the Hollywood plus Chipset (e.g. www.scan.co.uk sell them for around £50), and that outputs DTS & DD5.1 out on Analog, is multiregion, has TV OUT and does Hardware DVD playback, so u don't even waste CPU cycles playing the DVD...

:p terra cineview dvd decoder card it's regularly on their Today Only page too..