Soundbypass on Oled

welshpaul

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all

have an older amp so when i do purchase a new OlED i’ll connect Sky/Blu Ray to tv via hdmi then output sound to the amp via hdmi.

if i want TrueHD and DTS will what TV would allow the sound to bypass and anything else i need to be aware of?.

cheers

You can't unless both amp and TV support eARC. With an old amp you'll be limited to Dolby or DTS 5.1 depending on the TV.

My amp currentky gets DTS and TrueHD direct from blu ray so will i still get via hdmi?

My amp currentky gets DTS and TrueHD direct from blu ray so will i still get via hdmi?

What is your amp as the only way that you're going to get HD audio from it is to connect your bluray player up to it first, can it handle bluray discs?

Sky doesn't matter as it only does DD+ at best and you can get that via HDMI for the TV

No because the amp doesn't support eARC and can't receive those formats from a compatible TV.

Both ends need to support eARC.

Standard ARC is limited to non-HD 5.1.

Cheers, its an Onkyo 605, assume i’ll connect tv to a p via optical not hdmi?

It's simple. You use HDMI like you would have done with your previous TV.
If you have any 4k capable devices, you plug those direct into the TV and the TV sends 5.1 back to your amp via ARC.

If you have any non 4k devices, you plug them into your amp first to enjoy HD audio.

Do you have a Blu-Ray player or UHD Blu-Ray player?

Will be mainly Sky UHD and may buy a UHD blu ray player.

can one connected hdmi do both jobs? Pass not 4k image plus pass back sound only?.

Sky UHD is DD+ at best so you're missing little other than the Atmos component, not a huge difference between DD5.1 and DD+

If you're looking to buy a UHD player then get on with 2x HDMI outs.
One goes from the player to the TV for video and the other goes to the AVR for audio. This way you still get the best audio your AVR can do.

Cheers Bob

will the one HDMI between amp and tv do two jobs? Send blu ray image for player and send sound from tv for Sky?

Anything 4k like Sky Q and an UHD Blu-Ray player you plug into the TV and then the TVs job is to send audio back to the amp via HDMI. Because the amp only supports ARC and not eARC it supports only standard non-HD 5.1 audio.

Sky Q doesn't offer HD audio, so you don't lose anything without a eARC amp.
UHD Blu-Ray players do offer HD audio, so an amp upgrade is required, or a player with 2x HDMI out if you want HD audio to work. Otherwise you plug it into the TV and the TVs sends the non-HD part of the audio back to the amp.

Anything that isn't UHD yet, like standard Blu-Ray you can connect first your amp before the TV and still enjoy HD audio.

In the long term think about investing in a new amp, its a better and cleaner solution compared to dual HDMI output UHD Blu-Ray players.

will the one HDMI between amp and tv do two jobs? Send blu ray image for player and send sound from tv for Sky?

Your AVR doesn't support ARC, so you'll need to use optical for TV audio to the AVR.

As above, your AVR has just got a bit long in the tooth and really needs an upgrade.

might be worth just picking up a second hand AVR which plays well with 4k.

Your AVR doesn't support ARC, so you'll need to use optical for TV audio to the AVR.

As above, your AVR has just got a bit long in the tooth and really needs an upgrade.
Ah my bad, I thought it was ARC.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom