SoundBlaster Z-SE vs AE-5 Plus

edo101

Novice Member
Hey guys, I just got a Soundblaster Z-SE. I was gonna get the AE-5 but got worried about the reviews saying sound is muffled and pepole that have issues with AMD boards. Now I am on an Intel build but in the future I might have AMD, I don't want to have issues.

I ask this question because though I don't have any issues atm with the Z-SE, I am worried about future driver support. The Z-SE is older than the AE-5 so I am not sure how long Creative will support them with future windows releases

My use case: 5.1 Vizio Soundbar M51 series. And a future 2.1 speaker set for RTS games and a Soundcore Q10 headset. I honestly don't see myself investing in a proper gaming headset. I mainly play singleplayer games anyways. Just love 3D sound. Should I need to play wiht headphones, I'd think the Soundcore Q10 would be enough

I got the soundcard in the first place because of DDL and DTS which is crucial for optical connection for surround sound in games.

Should I return the Z-SE and pay 40 bucks more for the AE-5?

I do anticipate I might get a wired headphone in the future. Something like a Seinheisser or a Beyerdynamic. I do wonder if the XAMP will make all the difference in the AE-5

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
The Z-SE is still part of the SB command driver package same as the AE-5.

As long as the card performs its tasks it shouldn't need replacing.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
That appears to be a bluetooth headset. If so it won't be using the soundcard's audio output.

Technical problems will be hardware specific, not brand specific so it's unlikely to have issues with future AMD hardware.

edo101

Novice Member
That appears to be a bluetooth headset. If so it won't be using the soundcard's audio output.

Technical problems will be hardware specific, not brand specific so it's unlikely to have issues with future AMD hardware.
The Z-SE is still part of the SB command driver package same as the AE-5.

As long as the card performs its tasks it shouldn't need replacing.
I do anticipate I might get a wired headphone in the future. Something like a Seinheisser or a Beyerdynamic. I do wonder if the XAMP will make all the difference in the AE-5

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom