1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soundblaster Live! Value -> AC3 Amp Sound Dropouts.

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by UoTegne, Oct 6, 2004.

1. UoTegne

UoTegne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After a lot of messing around I've managed to get my cheesy old SoundBlaster Live! Value (non 5.1 version) to output a nice SPDIF Digital signal from any movie (DVD or Ripped MPG) to my Home Cinema Amp.

However every 15 minutes or so theres a sharp *pop* as the signal disappears for 1/2 a second or so (the Digital signal lights go out on the amp) but then it recovers and my lovely Dolby Sound comes back.

This also occurs in non-Dolby mode when my wife is playing The Sims 2 in Stereo mode on the unit.

Anyone have any ideas what may be causing this sporadic sound drop-out? This doesnt occur if i connect the analogue outputs from the card directly into my analogue stereo inputs on my TV.

I'm currently using the 'Red' connector of a stereo din->rca cable to connect my soundcard to my coax digital-in on the amp. the Black lead is just hanging there doing nothing... an adequate solution to my problem of not being able to find a mono version of the cable I needed.

TIA for any advice!

2. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i had the same problem, although with the live 5.1 version.

Id get dropouts when any large electrical device in house was turned on/off - you have no idea how long it took to make this connection. stuff like tumble dryers/washing macnines etc...

in the end i never sorted it out, and just got a optical out upgrade card, job done. I guess its just bad sheilding on the card or something.

best of luck,. 1st thing though try a good cable if you are using a cheap one, and keep the run as short as poss.

stu

3. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Mine was doing this all the time. Try changing the driver for your "computer" in device mananger from ACPI Uniprocessor to "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC".

This solved quite a few problems with my HTPC :)

Dave

4. amordue

amordue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The original SB Live doesnt output a valid SPDIF signal, the levels are wrong, I believe they are TTL (from the yellow connector, if you have tthe SPDIF bracket ignore this). If this is the case then you'll probably want to use a TTL -> SPDIF Coax level conversion circuit, read more here: http://www.andrewkilpatrick.org/mind/spdif/

I also had dropouts with the SPDIF out from my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz until I built a nice decent quality cable from 75 Ohm Coax + minijack plug + phono plug (The previous cable was just a regular audio cable designed for analogue audio from computer to amplifier)

Hope this helps

Alex