1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sOUNDBLASTER DIGITAL

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by grayson, Apr 23, 2004.

1. grayson

grayson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a soundblaster audigy2 soundcard, I have conected a 3.5mm adapter from the digital out on my soundcard to a single phono lead that goes into the coaxal amp, But when i try the test tone it only comes out of the left and right speakers. Can some one help

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,462
    Try this: go to Control Panel, Sound and Audio Device, Audio Tab, Volume and make sure everything is OK there.

3. Hikikomori

Hikikomori
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have you set it to 5.1 (or 6.1 if you have it).

Go to the speaker settings section (you might have a direct link in your programs menu), make sure 5.1/6.1 (whichever you use) is selected and that "Digital Output Only" is checked. Give the channel, noise or calibrate buttons a press...

How are you testing it, which test tone?

I've run my Audigy 2 in to an old Yamaha amp via its 5.1 inputs (two 3.5mm to 2x phono and one 3.5mm to 3x phono (might upgrade the amp to a 6.1 later) leads). Seems about the best trouble free way of getting 5.1 and EAX out of the card imo (haven't tried DVDA with it yet), if your amp hasn't got external decoder inputs though you're a bit screwed :clown:

4. <<ERROR>>

<<ERROR>>
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's your problem. The Audigy series of sound cards will not output surround digital signals on the 3.5mm jack except to special Creative speakers (that have a special connector - a 3-pole 'headphone' connector).

If you want digital surround with a Creative (or in fact, most other brands) card, then you will have to bear in mind 2 things:

1 = use the optical or phono digital out to your decoder

2 = Surround will only come from DVD movies where you have set up your DVD player for 'passthrough to S/PDIF'

AFAIK, the only sound chip that will encode and output real-time Dolby Digital is the NForce chipset on some Athlon XP motherboards.

Hikikomori: setting the sound output to 5.1 or 6.1 in the settings will have no effect. Have a look at the connectivity guide here: http://dmzweb4.europe.creative.com/...3103,K=7525,Sxi=0,Case=obj(16379),Kb=Creative
    for an example of how things get set up. The only way to connect to 5.1 digital is to use Creative's own speakers (incompatible connections with most other things, I believe) and the digital option just enables the 'mini-din' connector.

Also, the type of test tone is irrelevant to the problem here.

Basically, you're talking about encoding and outputting real-time 5.1 digital signals on the same channel (Dolby, DTS, etc.). This won't happen on a Creative card. What they do is to send out 3 channels of digital audio: front L/R, rear L/R and centre/sub.

The best solution, for getting 5.1 audio, is what Hikikomori did: have an amplifier capable of taking a 5 (or 6, or 7).1 analog signal in.

5. grayson

grayson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all of your help, Im going to connect it to my amps 5.1 Analog inputs