Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

soundblaster 5.1

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by mrchopper, Oct 6, 2002.

  1. mrchopper


    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I have a sound blaster 5.1 and i was wondering what do i need for surround sound, is it just a case of connecting the speakers to the relavent holes in the back and the PC will do the rest or do i need an amp or something. what connectors would i need to plug them up etc.

    Thanks for any help.
  2. RichardH

    Standard Member

    Apr 8, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Trophy Points:
    Hertfordshire, UK
    The computer will not amplify, in the same way that a DVD player with on board decoder won't. You can get the computer to decode the signal - you'll need the right version of WinDVD, PowerDVD or other software DVD player.

    You then need either a multichannel amplifier and "normal" hifi speakers - this is the most expensive but best quality route - or some "active" speakers - i.e. speakers with amp built in. There are lots of sets designed to plug straight in to your SB5.1. Creative make some, as do plenty of other manufacturers. Here's an example - not recommending them in particular, but you'll get the idea.

    It depends if you're looking for "ultimate quality", or a cheap way to watch DVDs with surround sound from your PC.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice