1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

soundblaster 5.1

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by mrchopper, Oct 6, 2002.

1. mrchopper

mrchopper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a sound blaster 5.1 and i was wondering what do i need for surround sound, is it just a case of connecting the speakers to the relavent holes in the back and the PC will do the rest or do i need an amp or something. what connectors would i need to plug them up etc.

Thanks for any help.

2. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The computer will not amplify, in the same way that a DVD player with on board decoder won't. You can get the computer to decode the signal - you'll need the right version of WinDVD, PowerDVD or other software DVD player.

You then need either a multichannel amplifier and "normal" hifi speakers - this is the most expensive but best quality route - or some "active" speakers - i.e. speakers with amp built in. There are lots of sets designed to plug straight in to your SB5.1. Creative make some, as do plenty of other manufacturers. Here's an example - not recommending them in particular, but you'll get the idea.

It depends if you're looking for "ultimate quality", or a cheap way to watch DVDs with surround sound from your PC.