1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SoundBlaster 4.1 Digital SoundCard

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Gary Lightfoot, Dec 21, 2001.

1. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Just seen this new sound card for sale (£26ish ), and it has a spdif output. (the info mentions 5.1 and DD/DTS output).

It looks like a good new alternative to the SB Live variants, so was thinking of using it instead of my SQ1500 when I upgrade my HTPC (new KT7S5a MB, 950 Duron with Supergrace 64meg Radeon).

Anyone using this card successfully or know of any problems?

I'm going to use Win98SE or ME with this build.

TIA

Gary.

2. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes I am using this card, and it does exaclty what it says, the sound through my AV setup is just as you would expect, no different from my normal Sony DVD player, the only small niggle is the fact the SPDIF output is through a 3.5mm jack, so the need for a very high quality converter plug is essential, a nice gold plated one should do the job. Only time will tell if the mechanical integrity of the 3.5mm socket will suffice.
    As you can see from a previous post I am presently having a few problems with lockup on playback occasionally, but I am confident its nothing to do with the 4.1 card as the lockup occured while I was using a DXR3 creative card with its own SPDIF output befire I installed the 4.1 card.

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Thanks for the reply Galaxy.

What player, graphics card and operating system are you using?

Cheers.

Gary.

4. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have PowerDVD 4xp as a software player, also Creative DXR3 hardware Player and DVD drive. PowerDVD gives a better image on the screen but the difference is only in the black levels, there just isnt enough control through DXR3 of the colour/contrast parameters, and as DXR3 is an overlay on the existing graphics card you cant use the graphics card controls to modify the picture.
    I use windows 98SE, seems to be about as stable as any now and drivers are available for just about anything you care to load!
    Graphics card is the new ATI Radeon 7000, dirt cheap but has great quality if you dont want the ultimate in 3D gaming, which just suits HTPC, it also has excellent TV out according to reports, I havent actually tried that yet as mine is output through VGA to a LCD projector at XGA resolution and looks as sharp as a pin.

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Thanks for the info.

I've just got the rest of the bits to build a new HTPC which will replace my Mpact2 mobo solution. It worked really well and was glitch free, but there was some slight interference in the picture which I couldn't get rid off.

I've heard of lots of people having probs with software solutions - mainly with sound issues, so I was a bit concerned with which combination I should use.

I bought a cheap Supergrace Radeon 64meg sdr/ddr (not sure how that works), but couldn't decide on a sound card. The 4.1 looked like a safe bet though.

Just to see, I tried my Aureal SQ1500 (from my desktop pc) which I got from the States for $12.50 )+$15 postage..) and installed WinDVD.

I'm now getting an interference free picture, and DD/DTS (including matrixed and discret variations) which was a big surprise! I was using Win98, but decided on WinMe after reading a promising thread over at AVS Forum.

I'm using YXY, but I'm thinking of using Zoom player for convenience - but there seem to be some issues with sound there as well. I'd hate to wreck a working system rigt now..

Cheers.

Gary.