• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Soundbase ?

talk2r

Established Member
Hello all,

A few pertinent questions concerning soundbases:

Why isn't there more choice?

It sounds like a very good idea to have everything tucked away in one package, but so few manufactures make them.

For the purposes of movies and immersion how good are they compared to a soundbar?

I've never heard one, but I'll presume that they don't do sound effects from behind or above, but then again do soundbars do sound effects from behind or above?

What would I gain or lose with a soundbase?

I'd be grateful for any opinions.

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Soundbase units from my experience are a welcome upgrade from the standard sound you hear. They will never outperform a separates, but for stereo can match many standard active soundbars and if the soundbar doesn't include a subwoofer then in many cases for stereo playback will easily outperform a similar priced active soundbar

So, if you are looking for a sound which is much better than that of your TV without the need for surround sound, then the a soundbase is certainly a good option. If you are looking for one which will mimic surround sound, then the only real option to you as far as I'm aware is the Yamaha unit. The effects really do work so long as your room allows the sound to bounce of the walls. If not then you may find that you don't hear as much of an immersive experience as you had hoped for.

If however you are looking at a passive soundbars option, then these are a little different and with these options, you can create true 5.1 combinations by adding discrete rear speakers together with a proper subwoofer and av receiver. Cost wise, these will always be a premium as you are asking for something a little different from the conventional surround sound package

Something like the Monitor Audio SB-3, a pair of Mass Satellites, a subwoofer plus an av receiver will always create a more immersive sound than using a simple soundbase or soundbar, but as I mentioned you have to pay a premium for the privileged

As to which one is better, obviously a separates surround sound will give everything you require and each solution will take something away, but oddly some of these options don't necessarily mean a lesser quality in audio quality just a lesser immersive experience

talk2r

Established Member
Hello ShanePJ,

Thanks for your reply.

There are complaints about having the Subwoofer on the floor making the room look scruffy, further satillite speakers would not be tolerated, whatever I have will have to be in or on the new AV unit I'm about to build, that will mean soundbar or soundbase.

The Yamaha sound projector you've linked to is very similar what I have now, YSP-2200 of which I'm underwhelmed by its immersion abilities. I've done the full auto setup and wasn't impressed and then been through the manual + internet to understand it and then manually tune it to my living room.

There was some immersion with movie content but when on SD content dialogue was low and distant.

These projector/beam type bars may do well in a perfectly shaped room, but for anything irregular they don't work. I bought this thinking the auto setup would deliver the goods, but It didn't. It's disingenous of the manufactures to imply they can cope with all types of room.

My main question is are soundbases immersive for movies compared to a soundbar with woofer?

What's the difference between them, do soundbases play Dolby / DTS like soundbars?

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Like many soundbar systems, when watching SD content, if the broadcaster is broadcasting in stereo, this is where it will many budget systems always fall down over the standard soundbase units as they are designed with stereo in mind and will usually always sound better hence why I didn't criticise both solutions

As to compare Dolby and DTS or any type of surround sound, the Yamaha you have will use its decoder to channel the sound out in each of its speakers by messing with the delay and I'm sure they also use phase to mimic the rear speakers position to fool the brain. Soundbase units usually down sample any surround sound broadcast to stereo thus removing the immersive experience in my opinion like stereo soundbars to create a nice stereo reproduction

If you want immersive, then you you cannot cheat and really don't have any other options but to look at a soundbar which uses a subwoofer and rear speakers or look at passive solution with a dedicated amp, subwoofer and rear speakers

Hope that helps :)

talk2r

Established Member
Hello ShanePJ,

Thanks for your help.

I have no choice but to have either a soundbar/sub or soundbase, I'll look for either that is immersive as it can get without extra speakers. Actually I'll also have another go at setup on the soundbar I have again and see what happens first.

Thanks

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If yours works with the app that allows manual setup (which I'm sure you have mentioned), then do give it a go.

Areas where the Yamaha struggles with are longer narrow room where the TV is placed in one corner. Rooms of this nature are make it almost impossible to get the speaker sound placements right as the speakers bounce many of the sounds to the same place making the effects less effective.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom