Soundbars & Soundbases Explained

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Seems a bit ‘light’ on the various ‘Soundbar’ options!

Yamaha kicked the whole Soundbar market off with its Digital Sound Projector (YSP1) back in 2005 creating a ‘virtual’ 5.1 surround sound system utilising the technology originally created by Cambridge based 1 Ltd and initially licensed to Pioneer (see what you could spend £20K+ on back then - http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/content/press/news_20021010_PDSP1.html).

Soundbar's can be Active with 7.1/5.1 processing, Active with 2.1 processing, Passive 7.1, Passive 5.1, Passive LCR and Passive 2.0 – passive units utilise a Stereo or AV Amp to drive the loudspeakers.

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I believe a few were supplied in the UK - we had a look but couldn't justify the price no matter how innovative, you had to have a Pioneer Tech round to the customers house to configure it!!!

Joe

TJP75

Shame so many soundbars don't process the DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD formats. I was going to buy the universally praised Paradigm Soundscape (as I own Paradigm Studio speakers and love them) only to discover it doesn't utilise the TrueHD soundtrack like Yamaha soundbars.

sneeks

I just purchased a Sony soundbar which processes DTS-HD and TrueHD formats, so far I'm very impressed with the results.

billking1

Novice Member
I have just bought the Panasonic TV 48ax630b. I am having a problem fitting up my Yamaha Sound Bar. I have tried to fit it up by HDMI cable and Audio cable but no sound playing. Do I need to set anything on the TV menu. This Sound Bar came off my old Panasonic. On fitting to that it was just Plug and Play. I agree it takes a long time for the menu to fire up.

Robbo1700

Novice Member
Hi

I have a Yamaha 2500 sound projector which comes with a wireless sub. Is it possible to connect a second sub to this sound bar one at front one at back and would they both have to be a wired connection?

MaryLouMaloney

Novice Member
Marylou, you need to specify a budget. Room size, shape and location of speakers and seating all matters as to how effective it will be. This isn't the right thread. PM me or move this conversation to the forum section here best for that. Subwoofers
The room is 16 feet by 25 feet. Speaker will be located near TV. Listining location is 16 feet away from the speaker.

12harry

I fear you are likely to lose any stereo "image" ....being so far from the speakers, the audio will mix.
You are going to need a very large TV . . . or is this projection?

For a room that size ( What's the height?), you can get a decent sub, but it will need to have its own amplifier and filter network. In the UK, look at BK electronics . . . . I suspect too that you'll need a sub with a 10" driver and that will deliver some power, when needed... BK do some with downward facing veneered units, which would be surprisingly unobtrusive.

Good luck.

MaryLouMaloney

Novice Member
I fear you are likely to lose any stereo "image" ....being so far from the speakers, the audio will mix.
You are going to need a very large TV . . . or is this projection?

For a room that size ( What's the height?), you can get a decent sub, but it will need to have its own amplifier and filter network. In the UK, look at BK electronics . . . . I suspect too that you'll need a sub with a 10" driver and that will deliver some power, when needed... BK do some with downward facing veneered units, which would be surprisingly unobtrusive.

Good luck.
Just a 65 inch TV. The height as 8 feet.

SOUNDVISION

Whats the point of buying these sound bars they are poor sound quality better to use a stereo amp, like I do for music & movies, much more enjoyable sound

Last edited:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'Whats the point of buying these sound bars' - usually it is for domestic/aesthetic harmony :)

Like you I tend to go with a conventional Amp + Stereo speaker solution, though a Soundbar/Base is often the only option for some situations.

Joe

When In Rome

Distinguished Member
I have a question for today please. I'd like to watch music videos on the Blu-Ray Dvd player which, while the tv has a decent audio, would sound a lot better via a dedicated surround sound system or soundbar, the latter of which is a new animal to me.

A quick trip to Argos could fetch me something like this:

Buy LG SJ3 300W 2.1Ch Bluetooth Sound Bar with Wireless Sub at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Sound bars, Home cinema systems and sound bars, DVD players, blu-ray players and home cinema, Technology.

I'm assuming this would be connected to the DvD player not the tv? :confused:

Any other advice for a first timer would be welcome - thanks in advance.

N1ck

Whats the point of buying these sound bars they are poor sound quality better to use a stereo amp, like I do for music & movies, much more enjoyable sound
Aesthetics play a large part plus they are cheap. My Yamaha cost £200. The difference in sound quality between this and £120 speakers and an £80 amp doesn't justify the separates route.

masterc34

I have a question for today please. I'd like to watch music videos on the Blu-Ray Dvd player which, while the tv has a decent audio, would sound a lot better via a dedicated surround sound system or soundbar, the latter of which is a new animal to me.

A quick trip to Argos could fetch me something like this:

Buy LG SJ3 300W 2.1Ch Bluetooth Sound Bar with Wireless Sub at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Sound bars, Home cinema systems and sound bars, DVD players, blu-ray players and home cinema, Technology.

I'm assuming this would be connected to the DvD player not the tv? :confused:

Any other advice for a first timer would be welcome - thanks in advance.
These look good per reviews on Argos. Does anyone know how good they are?

Tuono r

A question please re the Sound Bars, as in any make.

I have a TV set up in the left side of chimney breast.(so its at an angle)Room is 6 x 4 mtrs
If I had a Sound bar, could I mount it behind the TV on the wall so it cant be seen .
And, would it still be any good there. Or, does it have to fit in front of TV?
Thanks

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Like any loudspeaker the drivers are ‘moving air’ - put a solid object between you and the Soundbar and you are no going to hear very much.

Weirdly if you were putting loudspeakers behind a TV the best option is to point the loudspeakers at the rear wall and bounce the sound out to the sides of the TV.

Mount the Soundbar below the TV and save yourself a lot of grief/disappointment.

Joe

willz

Are sound bars the way to go now? Would a good soundbar eclipse the quality of sound from my Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's / BK Monolith Plus / CEOL Piccolo DRAN5 ?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LCD TVs for Movies, Laser Projectors, RIP Ennio Morricone, AV & Movie news, B+W Matt Damon

Trending threads

Latest News

QDC Blue Dragon earphones on sale in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TV licence fee now applies to over 75s from 1st Aug
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
New H.266 video codec promises 50 percent data saving
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba launches UL20 4K HDR TVs from £299