Soundbars 2021 with HDMI 2.1

Duero1

Novice Member
Hello everyone!
After the past CES 2021, I wondered if there is any news of any Atmos soundbar with HDMI 2.1. Samsung and LG have introduced their new models (LG SP11r and HW-Q950A) but I can't find their specifications.

Regards.

next010

Distinguished Member
Nothing confirmed so far but eARC is more common on high end sound bars.

Also just because it says HDMI 2.1 it might not be full spec, some of the first HDMI 2.1 AVR's do not support display stream compression for example.

If your TV is short on HDMI 2.1 ports its claimed there will be some HDMI 2.1 switches coming onto the market later this year.

Duero1

Novice Member
Nothing confirmed so far but eARC is more common on high end sound bars.

Also just because it says HDMI 2.1 it might not be full spec, some of the first HDMI 2.1 AVR's do not support display stream compression for example.

If your TV is short on HDMI 2.1 ports its claimed there will be some HDMI 2.1 switches coming onto the market later this year.
Hello,
thank you very much for your response. I was interested in a soundbar with HDMI 2.1 to be able to connect my Xbox Series X (or PS5) and have 4k 120HZ, VRR and ALLM. My current TV is an LG C9, all its HDMI ports are 2.1, but with some sound formats I think the TV is not able to send the audio via passthrough.

next010

Distinguished Member
Hello,
thank you very much for your response. I was interested in a soundbar with HDMI 2.1 to be able to connect my Xbox Series X (or PS5) and have 4k 120HZ, VRR and ALLM. My current TV is an LG C9, all its HDMI ports are 2.1, but with some sound formats I think the TV is not able to send the audio via passthrough.

The LG C9 supports the common audio formats.
Dolby/DTS 5.1
Dolby/DTS 7.1
Dolby Atmos = DD+, TrueHD, MAT.
PCM 7.1

Its the later LG OLEDs which have dropped support for DTS but you can still decode DTS as PCM so long as you have an eARC capable soundbar with support for PCM 5.1

You will want to select PCM 5.1 (or 7.1) as your default output in the console which is the optimal output for games, then in the Blu-ray disc player app which has its own audio settings set that to bitstream.

Duero1

Novice Member
The LG C9 supports the common audio formats.
Dolby/DTS 5.1
Dolby/DTS 7.1
Dolby Atmos = DD+, TrueHD, MAT.
PCM 7.1

Its the later LG OLEDs which have dropped support for DTS but you can still decode DTS as PCM so long as you have an eARC capable soundbar with support for PCM 5.1

You will want to select PCM 5.1 (or 7.1) as your default output in the console which is the optimal output for games, then in the Blu-ray disc player app which has its own audio settings set that to bitstream.
Hello next010,
Thank you for your response.
I understand that the C9 can only do passthrough DD+ and DTS formats, and not HD audio formats (Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD). So, if I connect to the C9 using HDMI 2.1 to a next-generation console (Xbox SX) or a UHD content player with TrueHD audio: Atmos or DTS-X in HD. Will the C9 be able to send the HD audio signal to the soundbar via eARC?
Thank you very much again.

next010

Distinguished Member
Hello next010,
Thank you for your response.
I understand that the C9 can only do passthrough DD+ and DTS formats, and not HD audio formats (Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD). So, if I connect to the C9 using HDMI 2.1 to a next-generation console (Xbox SX) or a UHD content player with TrueHD audio: Atmos or DTS-X in HD. Will the C9 be able to send the HD audio signal to the soundbar via eARC?
Thank you very much again.

HD audio formats are supported over eARC on the C9.

Haiko

May be a little bit more precise. Most of the current soundbars with HDMI 2.1 are only HDMI 2.0 + eARC. No [email protected], VRR, ALLM or 8K.

There's a great article (sorry, only in German) about fake HDMI 2.1

Let's see if new released soundbars are completely support all HDMI 2.1 featured.

Duero1

Novice Member
May be a little bit more precise. Most of the current soundbars with HDMI 2.1 are only HDMI 2.0 + eARC. No [email protected], VRR, ALLM or 8K.

There's a great article (sorry, only in German) about fake HDMI 2.1

Let's see if new released soundbars are completely support all HDMI 2.1 featured.
Hi Haiko,
Thanks for this article.
I'am looking for a new soundbar with HDMI 2.1 real. I would like to connect it to the new consoles and having features like VRR, ALLM or [email protected]
But i don't know if the 2021 soundbars models have 100% compatibility with HDMI 2.1.

Los formatos de audio HD son compatibles con eARC en el C9.

Thank you.
It's good to know that the C9 can output HD audio by eARC.

I hope HDMI 2.1 Sound bars come sooner rather then later. Would love to upgrade with my LG CX

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
After spending £1300 on a Sony HT-ST5000 in 2018 I'm pretty gutted now that it doesn't support ALLM as a passthrough, although it was updated a short while ago and now supports eArc

I too am eager to see what new releases come from all the players in 2021, and hopefully some higher end 2.1 bars.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom