• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

SoundBar

KenWall

Standard Member
Hi,

I'm new to this game and need some help. I've bought a sound bar for my Samsung should I take the optical output from the TV or the Sky HD box?

I only use the Sky HD for channels.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 30535

TV should do the trick, assuming it outputs any sound from the HDMI input if you want to watch Sky HD.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
‘It depends’!

If your Soundbar is 5.1 rather than 2.1 and your keen to get the best out of the Soundbar then you will want an Optical cable from the SKY+ HD box direct to the Soundbar.

If your OK with 2.0 and your TV Outputs external HDMI Sources then an Optical cable from the TV to the Soundbar will do the trick!

Joe

billybongo48

Hi if I'm in the wrong place forgive me. I have just ordered a Philips HTS3111/12 Soundbar which I will need to connect to my LG650T 47" 3D TV. I have a freesat box connected to the tv with an HDMI lead, a BluRay player connected to the TV via an HDMI lead and a further DVD/Video player connected to the TV via an HDMI lead. At present I have an OrbitSound Bar connected to the TV with an optical lead from the TV to the OrbitSound Bar which gives me the Audio from the Tv to Soundbar. Having looked at the instructions for the Philips Bar I'm a bit confused as to how I'm going to hook it up with my LG TV to give the best result. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope someone can help.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom