Soundbar with Sharp Aquos ARC won’t work properly

GeraldM

Novice Member
I have a Sharp Aquos LC-60LE925UN with a Vizio 2.1 Soundbar connected on HDMI4 ARC port. I activated the Aquos Link and then tuned back to an input channel ( I have tried this with the AppleTV4 and the Xbox One ) and it works fine. No other devices or receivers are used.
If I power cycle the system, the Xbox (for example) turns on with the TV, and I can adjust volume fine and see the LEDs changing on the Vizio soundbar, but I have no signal. Once I go back to HDMI4 ARC input where the soundbar is plugged in, and then return to the source input, I have signal.

How do I prevent having to cycle inputs to the soundbar and then back to the source every time I turn on the system?

outoftheknow

How do I prevent having to cycle inputs to the soundbar and then back to the source every time I turn on the system?
Probably you can’t - these switching input and power features are part of HDMI-CEC which you have to have on for ARC to work. Aquos Link is Sharps name for HDMI-CEC.

see if you can switch off different features of Aquos Link and/or CEC on the soundbar (whilst keeping the overall CEC setting as “on”.

GeraldM

Novice Member
I have the soundbar in HDMI 4 (which is the ARC port) and I turn my tv on with the Xbox on HDMI 6. I have no sound until I change to input 4 and then back to input 6.
And your saying this is normal operation? Like some sadist intended and engineered this paradigm?
There aren’t any features to adjust. It looks to be binary, on or off. Unless I need to look elsewhere in the settings.

Last edited:

outoftheknow

I have the soundbar in HDMI 4 (which is the ARC port) and I turn my tv on with the Xbox on HDMI 6. I have no sound until I change to input 4 and then back to input 6.
And your saying this is normal operation? Like some sadist intended and engineered this paradigm?
There aren’t any features to adjust. It looks to be binary, on or off. Unless I need to look elsewhere in the settings.
I’m saying it is likely “normal” interaction between those three different manufacturers devices yes.

CEC will switch on devices and switch the input. Trouble is it is an optional feature and manufacturers can movement it pretty much how they want. actually ARC is an optional feature in the socket too - the fact it is connected and attached to the device audio processors, doesn’t mean it will perform as a user

Turning on the Soundbar “should” turn on the TV with the TV set to HDMI 4. Since you have ARC on that means the ARC channel from TV to soundbar is on as well as HDMI 4 being an input for audio and video from the soundbar.

Turning on the XBox could switch the TV to HDMI 6 input so that is correct for audio and video into the TV. What are the audio and video settings on HDMI 6 on the TV? Video plays and audio passthrough to ARC? In theory the ARC channel on HDMI 4 should still be on since that is the ARC “on” setting.

However ARC may switch off, or audio flicks off HDMI 6, or any number of things that mean you need to switch around inputs a bit to get the video and audio paths you have set.

I have 5.1 seperates so I use optical - using ARC drove me nuts and was ultra annoying when using a Harmony remote. CEC and ARC off, optical and one remote sending all the on/off/input commands with one button. Simply impossible with CEC turned on (well it was for me after many hours of faffing) :)

GeraldM

Novice Member
Thank you. I understand the relationship a little better. CEC is the control aspect and ARC is just using the HDMI as audio out, but not necessarily controls anything. My Plasma may be too old and is why the issue. I tried using the Soundbar power to start the TV, but it didn’t turn anything on. Now I am trying to use the xbox optical out, but I am have a problem controlling the volume, as the xbox seems to only ever want to control TV and nothing else.

I swear none of these designers ever use the crap they make.

GeraldM

Novice Member
It appears that the Optical out for the Sharp or the Xbox are uncontrollable, for use with a separate audio receiver. And, I cannot setup the Soundbar as an Audio Receiver with the Xbox. So Optical volume is unadjustable without the soundbar remote.

I am back to the ARC, and using ALL of my remotes, carefully. Xbox remote to turn on the console & TV, the TV remote to change to the Soundbar input and then back to the console. At least then I can control volume with the XBox remote.

If I touch any button on the Soundbar remote other than to adjust a sub or EQ setting, then it disables ARC input until I use the TV remote and do the ol’ input dance again.

I may follow your lead and stop trying go force “smart” devices to interact with each other in practical, normal, real-world, signal-flow connectivity. Get the Harmony and run optical direct from the XBox to the Soundbar. Disable ARC / CEC.
On / Off commands for all devices, volume ONLY for the Soundbar. Media and other custom audio adjustment controls ad-hoc

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom