Soundbar vs. replacement Receiver

fhorgan

Standard Member
Like many people I've invested over time in some nice kit but standards have moved on and I'm trying to work out how best to move forward.

So I have the following:
  • Old Marantz slim NS1603 7.1 receiver that supports CEC and ARC
  • This is driving B&W PV1 subwoofer and 5 x M1 surround speakers
I have purchased a new LG 65" C9 OLED (OLED65C9PLA) TV.

This is all sitting in a 5m x 5m lounge with relatively high ceilings.

In-built speakers on the TV are not good (understatement) but I've struggled to get the ARC working between the TV and Amp so that I can control the volume of the Amp via the TV remote. I suspect the receiver is just too old. I connected it instead via optical which is fine for watching movies but it is a pain in the bum trying to control the volume with the low increment up-arrow/down-arrow on-screen display (rather than the volume bar). I get why that's the case via optical but I still have to hold down the remote control button for ages to get the receiver volume to change noticeably.

I'm not overly concerned about moving beyond 5.1 to a full Atmos 7.1+

In this scenario, all devices are connected directly to the TV (PS4, 4K DVD player etc.) with a single HDMI cable plugged into the receiver.

As I say, the TV's own speakers are not good so I am considering two options:

1. Disregard my good speakers and amp and just buy a reasonable Atmos/DTS soundbar (e.g. LG SN7CY + a couple of read wireless speakers) - £300-500
2. Replace my Marantz receiver with a more modern capable one and use it initially just to drive the speakers but control from the TV remote.

I'd be interested in views on:

1. Which is the best option? Soundbar or new amp?
2. I hate to idea of wasting my speakers (happy to lose the Marantz amp). Is there any way I can retain and drive my speakers and Sub from a soundbar?

and I'm trying to avoid spending more than £500....

Thanks,

Flann

gibbsy

The M1 speakers are not too shabby at all and are no doubt still doing sterling work for you. No soundbar is going to be able to compete with the quality and more importantly dispersion of that audio.

Speakers are in place, wire is in place. Your new TV has eARC and all new AV amps also come complete with eARC which is going to be a far more stable platform that rubbish old ARC. A soundbar would be a backward step, even an Atmos one, even from your cantankerous amp.

fhorgan

Standard Member
The M1 speakers are not too shabby at all and are no doubt still doing sterling work for you. No soundbar is going to be able to compete with the quality and more importantly dispersion of that audio.

Speakers are in place, wire is in place. Your new TV has eARC and all new AV amps also come complete with eARC which is going to be a far more stable platform that rubbish old ARC. A soundbar would be a backward step, even an Atmos one, even from your cantankerous amp.
Brilliant. Thanks. I'll invest my money in a new Atmos amp instead. You dont happen to have any recommendations on any entry-level receivers that work especially well with LG displays?

gibbsy

Brilliant. Thanks. I'll invest my money in a new Atmos amp instead. You dont happen to have any recommendations on any entry-level receivers that work especially well with LG displays?
Any AV amp will work with any TV. Depends on your budget. The most popular is the Denon AVR X2700 or the X1600. Very easy to set up and use. No real bargains in any dealers as prices are remaining high because of supply problems caused by Covid. The Sony 1080 is also in the frame price wise but it's an old design and has problems with instigating DTS:X with certain height limitations for the speakers. So best avoided.

martin 39

I kept a eye on the classifieds mate and picked up a denon 4400h with earc. Might be worth a look for you

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom