soundbar that doesn't cost the earth

wbabbington

Hey

Wonder if you guys can help me. Am looking for a soundbar that will include an amp (to run with a 45" tv). Must have at least 3 HDMI slots and be able to do LPCM over HDMI, so as to get True HD, DTS HD MA etc (think got it the right way round!).

Seen the new YSP40D, but is a little on the expensive side for me. Was wondering what else is out there for smaller money or if I am just going to have to do some saving!

Cheers

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Go for the older models e.g. ysp900 and get a separate HDMI switch would be my recommendation.

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
If you want all the features your have requested it will have to be the YSP-40D. The Yamaha sound projector ranges are by far the best performing of all of this style of loudspeaker and worth saving up a bit longer for if it is that type of product that interests you.

MarkTaylor

Novice Member
I would suggest that the OP tries to arrange a listening test if possible.

I'm not sure how much of a difference it is going to make having HD audio through the sound bar vs DD/DTS so it would be good to be sure the increased cost was going to be worth it in the end.

STEVENM1000

Novice Member
Go for the older models e.g. ysp900 and get a separate HDMI switch would be my recommendation.
Excuse my ignorance, but as the YSP 900 does not have any HDMI connectors how would you manage to get HD sound quality through the speakers using a splitter.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Sorry, I should have added to my post that I simply don't think HD audio would be worth the additional outlay as these soundbars are already a compromise so good ol DTS/DD5.1 would be more than enough.

wbabbington

I would suggest that the OP tries to arrange a listening test if possible.

I'm not sure how much of a difference it is going to make having HD audio through the sound bar vs DD/DTS so it would be good to be sure the increased cost was going to be worth it in the end.
Food for thought, thanks.:smashin:

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
Sorry, I should have added to my post that I simply don't think HD audio would be worth the additional outlay as these soundbars are already a compromise so good ol DTS/DD5.1 would be more than enough.
I would tend to agree with that statement. The Yamaha sound projectors are very good at what they do, but are still ultimately a compromise on performance and sound quality compared to a more conventional surround speaker system. I wouldn't have thought there would be any noticeable benefit in listening to HD audio sources through such a system compared to a good quality Dolby Digital or DTS soundtrack.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: TCL C815 TV, Denon & Huawei wireless speaker reviews, New Sony 4K PJ's and more
Top Bottom