Question Soundbar sound

psalliss

Established Member
Reaction score
Can someone answer a question for me as reading up on Google search I'm not getting a clear answer.

If I have all devices connected to the TV via hdmi arc and then other end to hdmi arc will all sound from the TV sources including on board apps play the sound via the soundbar?

Also if connected via optical same question

I'm asking as having issues getting a philips tv to work with sound bars of which I've tried a yamaha and now a lg one and neither will work at all via hdmi arc but will via optical but on board Netflix doesn't work so getting a little confused. I'm wondering if it it's the TV and the sound format output it supports

Can someone answer a question for me as reading up on Google search I'm not getting a clear answer.

If I have all devices connected to the TV via hdmi arc and then other end to hdmi arc will all sound from the TV sources including on board apps play the sound via the soundbar?

Also if connected via optical same question

I'm asking as having issues getting a philips tv to work with sound bars of which I've tried a yamaha and now a lg one and neither will work at all via hdmi arc but will via optical but on board Netflix doesn't work so getting a little confused. I'm wondering if it it's the TV and the sound format output it supports
In response to Netflix I too can’t get audio via optical just an awful noise. To overcome this I use a phono lead plugged into the TVs earphone socket.Hope this helps

TV > Soundbar ARC - relies on CEC behaving so can be problematic with some kit combinations.

Source > TV > Soundbar ARC vs. Source > TV > Soundbar Optical - for the most part there will be little if any difference to what is supported between ARC and Optical. A few TV/Soundbar combinations which offer Atmos via DD+ may support it on ARC but not on Optical - others will support it on ARC and Optical!

TV HDMI Input - worth noting that a fair few TV's only support 2.0 PCM Stereo audio via HDMI Inputs, even where they support 5.1 from the onboard TV Apps.

Smart TV Apps - Netflix has been problematic for some TV's.

Unfortunately there is not a simple 'universal' standard when it comes to using your TV as the 'Hub' of your connected system.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom