Soundbar Sony HTRT3 + TV Box and Monitor

pijo1971

Novice Member
Hi all,
I'm new on this forum and I guess to writing in the corrent section.

I would like to ask a question about te connection of the following 3 device.

1. Soundbar Sony HT RT3 with HDMI ARC compatible
2. MINX U1 with HDMI 2.0
3 ASUS PA328Q with HDMI that support HDCP1.4 and HDCP 2.2

My wish would be to turn on everything i.e Monitor, SoundBar and TV BOX by switching on the TV Box.

At the moment when I switch on the TV BOX only the Monitor switch On automatically, the sound bar needs to switched on manually.

Thanks for every suggestion.

Kind Regards,
Luigi

next010

Distinguished Member
Computer monitors typically do not support HDMI-CEC that is needed to control power on/off. Check the monitor OSD for anything related to that on the off chance it supports it.

The monitor power on feature your seeing is essentially the PC side of it were it detects a video signal.

pijo1971

Novice Member
Hi,
thank you for your advise, this evening I'll check the monitor OSD.

By the way, since the monitor doesn't not support HDMI-CEC I'm thinking about a work around using an HDMI Splitter that support HDMI-CEC. It could be possible?

What I'm thinking is a sort of this.

kind regards,
Luigi

Attachments

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
Hard to say, those devices are normally just pass-through devices, on a TV you have an OSD with controls for HDMI-CEC.

A cheap universal remote my be the solution like Logitech Harmony configure it to power on the set top box and sound system as an activity, that should power on the monitor when it detects the video signal and get you audio on at the same time.

The cheapest Harmony supports one activity.

pijo1971

Novice Member
Thank you, I'll look at some solution with Harmony remote.

One question that make me strange, is that also connecting directly the TVBOX (minix) to the sound bar via HDMI, I'm not able to turn on the soundbar by turn on the TVBOX.

Anyway, thank you.

Luigi

next010

Distinguished Member
If there is a firmware update for the minix box install it, check that HDMI-CEC is in it's settings, it should be from screenshots I've looked at but I don't know what kind of controls it offers in there.

CEC is pretty inconsistent across devices, it's possible the minix doesn't support powering on other devices or can only be controlled by other CEC systems.

pijo1971

Novice Member
Hi
In fact my minix needed an update, and after the update something has chenged.
By now setting CEC function ON and audio out via HDMI, the audio arrives to the monitor and the goes to the soundbar.

I've only to turn on the Minix, and magically the soundbar play the audio... The strange is that the soundbar seems to remain switch off... there are the LCD completely off... But play the sound.

This is almost what I would like to have.. Unfortunately in this case the sound is only 2 channels, I loose the passthrough option and the 5.1 channels... grrrrr...

next010

Distinguished Member
The monitor would still be getting power even in standby so the HDMI ports would still be active allowing the audio to pass-through.

Sounds like the monitor has some basic HDMI-ARC support or some in-house system but it's nothing more than stereo as you've discovered. You can't do PCM 5.1 audio over HDMI-ARC anyway only PCM 2.0 (stereo) or Dolby/DTS 5.1 (if licensed) it's no different from optical/spdif audio.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom