• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Soundbar set up

scotguyontour

Established Member
Hi I wondered if anyone could offer some advice, I've just sold my old Samsung 50 inch 1080p tv and Sony ht ct370 soundbar which was easy as it had 3 HDMI inputs etc

My new tv Panasonic tx55cx700b and LG las455h soundbar only has 1 HDMI in and out the question is i believe that the optical out to soundbar will only output pcm stereo audio from the tv devices connected to HDMI, my blu Ray player indicates it needs to be connected directly to tv if not going through an item that's 4K pass thru so to alleviate this if I connected things as follows would it be the best way:

Blu Ray to HDMI on tv
Sky HD to HDMI on soundbar
Virgin TiVo to HDMI on tv
Soundbar HDMI to HDMI arc on tv

Optical from blu Ray into soundbar so that would give me DTS and Dolby Digital

So in turn I would have Dolby digital on blu Ray and sky hd and TiVo would just be pcm, I don't use it much anyway.

Will I get any complications doing things that way? Thanks in advance

thanley

Established Member
I would prob route that way but why do you need to introduce an optical cable? all the audio is carried via the HDMI cable and to add an optical in to the mix will only downgrade the audio fed in to the soundbar i.e. no HD Audio. HDMI 2 is the ARC input for this TV so as long as the bar is connected to this input then the audio from Blu-ray and TiVo will be passed through this input thereby negating the need for an optical cable.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom