Question Soundbar required on a budget. Not sure what to look for.

Kev_83

Established Member
Reaction score
A lot (all) of this terminology is lost on me so looking for a bit of guidance.

The TV we have is (to quote) ... Panasonic Viera 58DX750B LED HDR 4K Ultra HD 3D Smart TV, 58" With Freeview Play/freetime and Art Of Interior Switch Design.

The speakers are not awful but really not the best, as i guess is the case these days with thin TVs. We do a fair bit of movie watching. Just a few points....

* After talking to someone at work about soundbars i'd like the option of Bluetooth if possible.
* No separate sub. Due to location it's probably best/easier if there isn't a separate sub. I figure this can hinder potential quality but it'll have to be.
* If i say budget as £120 then this should allow for the usual "if you just stretch this tad you could get...".

This one ... JBL BAR STUDIO (Black) was suggested to me though like i've said, i don't know if that's a decent budget one or not. Seems to get good reviews but i honestly don't know, which is why i thought i'd come here and see what others suggest.

Thanks.

I had a look at soundbases but after having seen them i think i'll still be looking at soundbars. Just a question of which really.

I recently bought a Sony SF150 soundbar for my Sony TV for around £90. Like you, i wanted better sound coming out from my TV but without spending £100s. Its a great speaker for the money, supports bluetooth and is a single piece. Its currently priced at £94 from both Amazon & Argos.

Looks decent. The JBL i was suggested is a bit on the short side. I'm talking purely for looks here. The output may well be superb on it but it would appear a midget soundbar against my TV.

I've had a look on John Lewis and this Panasonic SC-HTB488 which really is the upper edge of my budget (i know i set £120 in the OP but people online generally add a bit on usually, so my true budget was more £150) looks decent Panasonic SC-HTB488 Bluetooth Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer at John Lewis & Partners I know it has a sub which is a bit of a problem but i'm just wondering if we can somehow make it work ....... IF that's a really good soundbar.
If it's only slightly above the JBL or Sony for example then for £50 i'd go with the cheaper one.

I'm curious - how will the wireless subwoofer work? As in how is it powered? No mention of batteries but i'm assuming it surely must need some?

I'm curious - how will the wireless subwoofer work? As in how is it powered? No mention of batteries but i'm assuming it surely must need some?
I imagine the wireless subwoofer is mains powered and communicates with the sound bar through bluetooth or something similar.

I did think that was one possibility (wouldn't have been a fan of batteries tbh). I tried contacting Panasonic but their contact procedure is faffy so i emailed John Lewis instead.

Just a question of whether i go the £90 or £150 route and i can never make my mind up.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom