Question Soundbar recommendation

anhlon

Novice Member
Hi All,

A few days ago, my very old and entry level Samsung soundbar failed and I am looking to replace it. I currently reside in a townhouse, so I can't get anything that is too powerful as it will drive my neighbours crazy. I am looking for something that/provide;
* is easy to use - currently all HDMI sources goes to the TV and back to the soundbar via ARC (I have a 2017 model tv so it doesn't have the new eARC). what's nice is that, any devices i turn on will power on the tv and soundbar via hdmi cec.
* a reasonably pleasurable listening experience. I watch most (if not all) my shows on Netflix, Disney+, Plex and youtube. I like something that has clear dialogue when watching movies.
* atmos is a nice to have - I would love it if it's just there and is not too expensive.
* the devices that i use are AppleTV, Nintendo Switch and the soon to be release PS5
* sometimes i do watch late night movie or gaming session, the soundbar should provide a night time mode so it won't disturb others.

I have a test listen to the Samsung HW Q90R yesterday and I find that the dialogue is not as clear as I thought. Maybe this is due watching the Tenet trailer on youtube so the audio source maybe not that good. Perhaps it is not configured properly and other reasons.
I've looked at the Bose 700 w/o the sub and that seems good. The new Sonos Arc looks great and all, but the eARC requirement will not work for my TV.

Anything that you guys can recommend?

keithwiggins

There are some great products out there at the mo. If you want absolute clarity i will reccomend to you what i own, a Beosound Stage, yes it has earc but thats future proofing your investment for when you eventually change your tv it will of course still work so dont let that put you off.

anhlon

Novice Member
@keithwiggins - thank you for the suggestion! Yesterday I did some browsing here on this site and the B&O Beosound Stage stood out (aside from its price tag). Clean & simple looking bar that is some how very pleasing to look at and being from B&O I am sure it will sound nice. And I love the fact that it's just a single bar, no satellite and sub needed, sure it won't be as immersive as other offering, but I do think that it fits my uses.

The other bar that got my interest is the Seinheiser Ambeo, but that's nearly 50% more than price of the Beosound which is more than what I am willing to spend. The other bar I am interested in is the Bose Soundbar 700, but it doesn't have the bells and whistle like the Beosound Stage.

Thanks again!, I'll do more homework and look at other offerings and some how persuade my wife to let me spend $2200 CDN on this :D

keithwiggins

The Stage is surprising good, like you i could not justify the outlay for the ambeo, also a a lot of owners are having issues with quality , which if you consider the price tag is very unacceptable. With stage u also have 4 finish options ( at a cost) to seamlessly blend its appearance into your lounge ( a real wife pleaser) its also won several awards for its sound quality style and build ( Eisa , best premium soundbar) try to grab an audition, i doubt you will be disapointed.

anhlon

Novice Member
No you did not, I didn't specify :D
I am comfortable with splurging $2500 CDN pending wife approval :D

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom