Soundbar or Stick with Current 5.1

anotheruser

I currently have some Logitech z906 (5.1) speakers connected to my HTPC and TV.
We only use them for watching films or when binge watching TV series.
They're pretty good but I'm having a bit of FOMO with sound-bars now as I don't think the Logitech accepts DTS or anything fun like that, although the odd film does play with proper surround sound. Some films, I am constantly fiddling with the volume as explosions are real life volume, while speech sounds like they're half a mile away. But apparently this is just a problem that can't really be solved.

Looking at getting a Sony A8, so eARC stuff.
I have a budget of about £400... maybe. Although I was toying with the Sony HTZF9, but adding the rear speakers (would make the set about £700!). But someone said their rear speakers kept cutting out and to be honest, it is a little over budget for me so I stopped investigating further.

Would a soundbar between £400 and£700 really be that much difference from my current Logitech z906 speakers?
Would this potentially resolve the large difference in volumes?
I'm open to used stuff though but don't have a clue what to look for or what I'd need.

Thanks

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
You could look at something like the Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 as this has the ability for your to add surround sound speakers to bring back what you will be loosing when you move from a 5.1 package to a single soundbar. Adding a pair of Yamaha MusicCast 20 wireless speakers will do the job.

Yes it will be over your top end budget, but you don't have to buy it all at once enabling you to build the system over time

The main issue with stepping down to a soundbar over a five speakers and a woofer (5.1) is that you always loose a little effect which I feel any soundbar you choose must have the option of replacing this area in order for you to enjoy surround sound better than it all the audio coming from the front

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
I currently have some Logitech z906 (5.1) speakers connected to my HTPC and TV.
We only use them for watching films or when binge watching TV series.
They're pretty good but I'm having a bit of FOMO with sound-bars now as I don't think the Logitech accepts DTS or anything fun like that, although the odd film does play with proper surround sound. Some films, I am constantly fiddling with the volume as explosions are real life volume, while speech sounds like they're half a mile away. But apparently this is just a problem that can't really be solved.

Looking at getting a Sony A8, so eARC stuff.
I have a budget of about £400... maybe. Although I was toying with the Sony HTZF9, but adding the rear speakers (would make the set about £700!). But someone said their rear speakers kept cutting out and to be honest, it is a little over budget for me so I stopped investigating further.

Would a soundbar between £400 and£700 really be that much difference from my current Logitech z906 speakers?
Would this potentially resolve the large difference in volumes?
I'm open to used stuff though but don't have a clue what to look for or what I'd need.

Thanks
I would spend as much as you can on an AV Receiver and then maybe buy second hand front speakers. Then, when you have the funds, you can add to the system until you get a full 5.1 system.
£500 would you get you a decent entry level AV receiver and then £150 would buy you some bookshelf front speakers that you could then use as rears once you upgrade.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom