Question Soundbar or stereo? I need help! :)

raki

Standard Member
I have recently updated my 8 years old Plasma TV to 55C9 and I would like to update my old £100 Panasonic speaker set.

I have been reading a lot and I am not really sure what to do. I would like to have the arc and ability to use one remote so my family can enjoy great sound hassle free :)
Main use would be watching TV, Netflix and occasional music, mainly put on loud while doing some stuff around the house. Source for music would be TV music channel or internet radio casted via Chromecast audio or Bluetooth.

Originally I wanted Q acoustics 3050 paired with some £250 avr and that would most likely tick all the needs but after reading a bit it would be better to settle for stereo amp but I would loose ARC which I could sacrifice if it was really worth it.

I have gone through few threads on this subforum and now I think maybe soundbar would be a good choice as I could enjoy better sound for movies?

Room is 4.2m by 3.5m. TV is placed around 3.2m from sitting point and that's where new system would go.
Budget is roughly £500.

I do realise this probably has been on here before but I would appreciate your help and opinion.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
If decent music playback is a must then a Sonos soundbar is probably your friend. Personally, I’m not a fan of their kit because they still have made no effort to support the more modern audio codecs. Would £500 buy you a decent enough stereo amp., speakers, cables and stands, etc.?

Clem

thedoswells

I have recently updated my 8 years old Plasma TV to 55C9 and I would like to update my old £100 Panasonic speaker set.

I have been reading a lot and I am not really sure what to do. I would like to have the arc and ability to use one remote so my family can enjoy great sound hassle free :)
Main use would be watching TV, Netflix and occasional music, mainly put on loud while doing some stuff around the house. Source for music would be TV music channel or internet radio casted via Chromecast audio or Bluetooth.

Originally I wanted Q acoustics 3050 paired with some £250 avr and that would most likely tick all the needs but after reading a bit it would be better to settle for stereo amp but I would loose ARC which I could sacrifice if it was really worth it.

I have gone through few threads on this subforum and now I think maybe soundbar would be a good choice as I could enjoy better sound for movies?

Room is 4.2m by 3.5m. TV is placed around 3.2m from sitting point and that's where new system would go.
Budget is roughly £500.

I do realise this probably has been on here before but I would appreciate your help and opinion.

Interestingly enough I kind of looked into this as well. I guess it just does come down to how much you spend and how critical you are of the sound.
I went for a soundbar to act as an all-rounder, and couldn't be happier.
It's clearly a compromise because it won't do cinema sound like a dedicated system, and won't do music like a dedicated system, but for me it does everything I need really well.
I looked at the Sonos and thought it sounded really, really good, but ended up with my Panasonic because for a slightly lower price the music sounded pretty much as good to me as the Sonos, and with a subwoofer, sounds plenty good enough to me for films etc.

thedoswells

What Panasonic did you go for?

I have the sc-htb900.... I don't know if it would suit what you need but I think the main thing I'm saying is that a soundbar is a good all-round solution for some, maybe not for others. I also found that the Sonos and Bose bars sounded great for music but since they don't come with a sub, they sounded less rich to me for films etc so would need more money to add one.
I think the Sony ht-zf9 and Samsung q70r are really good for the TV viewing side, but afraid I haven't listened to those for just music.
Have you got a chance to listen to some?
I'd also suggest looking at the Sony or other bars with earc, which your TV supports. The Panasonic doesn't but neither does my TV...
Good luck :)

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
A Yamaha A-S301 connected to the TV Digital Out plus a pair of Suitable Speakers (and Sub if required at a later date) is well worth considering vs. a Soundbar.

Joe

raki

Standard Member
Ok so I have set everything up yesterday and ... I am not happy. So far the results are disappointing. I am not sure where is the problem or if there is one but I suspect it could be the avr.
I went for Yamaha RV-X585 and a set of Q Acoustics 3050 with the future plans to expand by sub and centre.
At the moment when watching TV and volume set to half the TV (55C9) speakers sounds better for movies that changes when going louder but I do not listen and watch that loud.
It is a little bit better on Spotify and YouTube but deffinanately not £600 that went into the system better.
It does feel as if the speakers are muffled not sure how to describe, there is no pinch in them.
I have all the sources connected to TV and then avr with TV through HDMI arc cause earc does not work :/
Speakers connected via shielded cable from RS £5 per meter and standard CA banana plugs.
Any suggestions?

Update:
I have messed with the settings and it is much better now however I get noticeable downgrade in quality when the source is TV, whether it's YouTube or Tele.
I am thinking whether maybe I should have gone for amp or stereo network receiver which would power 3050 better.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom