Soundbar or home cinema amp set up for Panasonic 802 oled

Discussion in 'OLED TVs Forum' started by toxic mango, Dec 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. toxic mango

toxic mango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hello all. Have picked up a Panasonic 55 802 oled. Looking for advice on soundbar or reciever speaker set up. Have a lx5090 with speaker so sound decent. But understand 802 speakers may be step Down. Budget about £1k (cheap as possible) 802’s two hdmi slot is an issue as have 4 devices (Sky, PS4 Pro, switch, xbox). So looking for any recommendation from people who have oled and soundbar/receiver set up and where hdmi through receiver/sound bar.

Many thanks

TM

2. Lrehcsa

Lrehcsa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I'd always go proper 5.1 at least if you have the room for the AVR and speakers, but if you don't the Yamaha soundbars or similar would probably be good enough for most people

3. Aj33

Aj33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
  4. dion 6

dion 6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi i've had a Yamaha YSP 2500 soundbar for 2 years fills the room with great sound and plenty of bass via the bluetooth sub but just upgraded to a 5.1 system and it is far suprerior. I got a good deal at Richer Sounds on a Sony STRDN1080 reciever a Monitor mass 5.1 bundle for £799 which is the same price as the soundbar was when first released.

5. toxic mango

toxic mango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hello all - first of all thank you for your comments and suggestion. I don't mind wires - but the other half hates the thought - the issue with wires is it wouldn't be an elegant solution. There is a sliding door between the kitchen and the room where the tv is. So wires would have to go up wall and along top of sliding door to the rear. Doable - but not very elegant :( Is there are any av receivers that are wired/wireless rears ? Thanks again

6. Aj33

Aj33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    There are a few soundbar with sub and wireless rear options out there. Sono and Polk come to mind. I am sure there are others.

Could you not run the speaker wires under carpet? Or create a neat threshold on one side and have the cables run below that? Take the wires outside and back in? Can you see I am really invested in going down then cable route?! :laugh:

7. toxic mango

toxic mango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    re wires thanks for options - unfortunately no carpet - laminate floor. So set up is that there is alcove where tv is - to the left is a wall about 1 meters long and connected to the entrance to the kitchen (sliding room) to the right there is a supporting wall and then the door from front hallway. Cable either side would look terrible :(

8. Aj33

Aj33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Honestly, finding it hard to visualise.

In reality it’s probably down to how much work you want to do/are allowed to do.

What about hiding cables behind decorative beading on the floor?

Mine run through a custom back panel to outside trunking (patios doors prevent it being internal) and then to the back of the room where the cable attaches to a wall socket. See pics.

With all that said, I imagine the wireless stuff is still better than internal speakers.

Attached Files:

9. toxic mango

toxic mango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi there thanks for the pictures - and some good ideas - you are right - if willing to put the effort in there are solutions. Also very nice looking set up too.

10. Boyzer1969v2

Boyzer1969v2
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Aquired myself a Panny 802 uograding from my Lx5080, so in a very similar boat.

I wont rant about the beauty of Oled, except to say, if you havent discovered Dynasties on the BBC app yet, you are in for a treat.

Back to sound, but also Hdmi routing.... My upgrade was complimented by a sound upgrade in the form of a new Avr, Denon 4500.... It breathed new life into my B&w speakers, a room reconfig allowed me to return to 5.1, and as i did the upgrades over the past week each change has resulted in my setup becoming rather wow in my lowly opinion.

When we set out, the missus is anti remote and had issues with the Old Avr, the virgin, the apple, the tv remotes to name the main ones. Basically, how did she turn the damn thing on or off.

The second factor was sound, we listen to a lot more than we watch, and he requirement was simple, it needed to ‘sing’ to her. No soundbar we looked at did the job.

So starting with the old Pioneer 933 (gold) b&w xt series and Pioneer kuro 8’series, i switched out the amp first and reconfig the living room. Sound went from good to stunning. But also the hdmi switching in the denon was amazing too, indeed i was wondering if the oled was even necessary because the whole setup was singing to us.

Few more tweaks to the layout and tge Oled went up and the Kuro went to a family friend, and of course my fears were unwarranted and the setup is visually, aurally brilliant for us. Arc and Denon solves the switching issues between sources and one button for everything on or off, and volume controls. The denon app is decent when more detailed (non missus) tweaking is required but now that its hidden in a cupboard the no ugly black boxes on display is also a winner at home.

She is very happy,
    I have my 5.1 Oled setup ive been drooling over and the speakers are singing to us.

I know this is poss a bit all off topic, but ultimately, no soundbar we auditioned was 5% of my Denon and B&W setup now.