• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Soundbar novice... need expert advice!

Glen1977

Established Member
Recently bought an LG B8 55” and yes the sound is fine. But I’m sure/hope even a cheap sounder would make a difference, well i at least hope so!
Now firstly would it make sense to buy an LG soundbar? Would it ‘connect' better, are there any additional benefits or does it really make no difference at all as to what brand I buy?
I’m not a fan of all the additional speakers that you can buy for soundbars but know the subwoofer is important. But I’ve also seen a few soundbars that have ‘subs’ integrated which would be my preference. But would the quality of sound be less if i get an all in one?
I have a very small budget but obviously want the best! Appreciate suggestions for under £300.

MattDX

Distinguished Member
Most soundbars are universal and will work on all TVs. You may get some extra features connecting kit of the same brand but I'd download the soundbar manual from LGs website and have a read - it should tell you.

My understanding is that built in subs can be very good but a dedicated sub is often better. It's of note that a sub isn't direction audio so you don't have to have it facing you like a speaker so it can be off to the side and still effective.

I'm in the process of upgrading my old soundbar and from my research if you're looking at under £300 the Samsung Sound+ HW-MS650 could be the one for you. Google some reviews for it - they are very positive and good bass with no extra sub, although you can add one and wireless rear speakers at a later date. Although if you are thinking about that you generally get more for your money with a dedicated home cinema setup.

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Consider a soundbase. Can either sit under your tv or on a shelf in an av rack.

Bigger space for bigger speakers. Bigger built in sub too.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom