Soundbar not 4k...solutions?

Discussion in 'Soundbars, Soundplates & Soundbases' started by ry3, Apr 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ry3

ry3
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

I recently got Sky Q 2TB and mutliscreen installed and the benefit is UHD, however my soundbar Samsung HW-MS550 is not 4k/UHD compatible.

I would have went for teh model up at the time of buying last year but the bar was too long to fit in the allocated space the Samsung HW-MS650.

Anyway this is my set up, looking for a solution to play the UHD channels out my soundbar as TV speakers as quite poor.

Blueray HDMI out - Soundbar HDMI In
    Soundbar HDMI out - TV HDMI2 (ARC) In

Sky HDMI out - TV HDMI3

Chrome cast HDMI1

Everything plays out ,my soundbar chrome cast, sky, blueray, netflix, amazon

The sky engineer mentioned an optical cable.

Can I run an optical from my TV to Soundbar for UHD only and keep existing setup?

Is a possible solution to this (I only have 3 HDMI ports on TV)

Blueray to tv HDMI 1
    Sky to Tv HDMI 3
    TV HDMI 2 ARC to Soundbar Out

Therefore removing the connection to the sound bar IN, and also no HDMI left for Chrome

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  2. chopples

chopples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +325
    Hi Mate

by UHD audio do you mean atmos? your sound bar wouldn't be compatible anyway.

You could plug your 3 devices into the TV via HDMI and use optical but I am not sure what the benefit would be here, in this case both HDMI ARC and optical would pass the same lossy formats.

Personally I would just go with how you have set it up in your first example as chances are even though your sound bar is 2 channel it should be able to decode the higher bitrate offered from the bluray player.

I would only recommend switching to an optical setup if you are having issues with ARC or HDMI control in general. From what you have said SKY should have no issues passing the Dolby Digital offered via HDMI ARC.

cheers

3. ry3

ry3
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

I am not entirely sure what I mean lol

What I mean is on my current set up when I select sky q to UHD it states no UHD tv detected.

Unplug everything from the soundbar and just have TV to sky q select UHD setting and UHD tv is selected.

Th sound bar is not capable of supporting 4K/UHD

In order to watch and hear UHD channels the soundbar needs to be disconnected which mean just TV speakers.

My current set up works fine with ARC and I have no issues just the above.

So from what you set the only way to set sky q to UHD setting to detect the TV is to remove all HDMI cabling to the soundbar and connect everything into the TV then run an optical from the TV to the soundbar?

What other disadvantages does this bring compared to my current set up?

4. chopples

chopples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +325
    This all seems a bit odd mate,

when using ARC you are only sending the audio stream back to the soundbar so the fact it doesn't support 4K in this instance is irrelevant. Providing the SKY Q box is plugged into a HDMI port on the TV and that port has been turned on to take the 4k 10bit signal you should have a 4k picture and then ARC will then do the job of sending the audio back.

When you had the Sky Q connected to just the TV and the 4k would work what port did you use? Did you use a different one by any chance when you tried to introduce the soundbar, and if so are you certain UHD hdmi colour (its called different things by diff manufacturers) was enabled on this port?

You can simplify it mate by just using an optical cable but tbh if you have ARC working when the sky Q box is plugged into the Tele with it running at 1080p then it should just work with the Q box at 4k

edit... Whats your TV mate? I am guessing its a Samsung as you say ARC is HDMI 2. Some TV's such as the Sony's only have certain ports which are full bandwith.

cheers

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  5. ry3

ry3
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sky q to tv direct was to hdmi 2 ARC but also worked direct on hdmi 3.

Sky q UHD you set the box to 2160p this is when it is unable to detect the TV when the soundbar is in the set up.

I have tried the sky box to hdmi 3 direct to tv and a hdmi 2 arc to sound bar but unable to detect tv again.

Online reviews on my sound bar say it’s not compatible for 4K/UHD and sky engineer also said this.

So I guess the solution is my current set up and keep switch the cables around To remove the sound bar or I use optical

6. chopples

chopples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +325
    Hi Mate

It makes no sense to me that something is plugged into a certain HDMI port and works correctly, its behaviour would then be altered by something being plugged into a completely different hdmi port to then not function.

Unless you are using an atmos receiver/soundbar the SKY Q will only output dolby digital, the same way a normal SKY box does. It is not enhanced or anything, this is why it doesn't matter that your sound bar is not compatible with 4k. It is not receiving a 4k signal over ARC just the bog standard dolby stream.

This is looks like one of them cases where going optical will be the simple solution

also make sure your Sky Q is set to output dolby digital and not dolby digital+. The latter is what they used to send the atmos streams to compatible hardware

best of luck

cheers

7. ry3

ry3
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks

Can anyone else help with my set up. All only reviews say soundbar is not 4K/UHD compatable

8. ry3

ry3
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ah finally sorted it my hdmi3 was the issue.

Connected sky q direct to hdmi 1

Blue ray hdmi to sound bar hdmi In
    Soundbar hdmi out to tv hdmi 2 arc

And all good can watch UHD with sound bar and everything else works as it should off sound bar

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,166
    Good you got your system sorted.

As you found out the HDMI Input on your Soundbar is not compatible with a 4K UHD (HDCP 2.2) Video signal so connecting your Source to the Soundbar will always limit you to 1080p (HDCP 1.4).

Connecting the Source to your 4K UHD (HDCP 2.2) TV and then using HDMI ARC or Optical Digital Audio Output of the TV to the Soundbar gets you around the video limitations of the HDMI Input on the Soundbar.

Joe